DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default ran make deinstall in /usr/ports/multimedia/ How do I undo this?

I did something quite stupid,
I ran sudo make deinstall in /usr/ports/multimedia when I thought I was in a subdirectory of multimedia. Now when I log in the gnome settings deamon wont run, and exits with error 1. Also the mixer is gone and the appearance of the windows etc in gnome is very twm-like.
Is there a way to undo this?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2008
Spam Deminer

Which package you deinstall ???
Install it again
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2008
Spam Refugee

Unless you have an overview of which ports you had installed in the multimedia category (maybe a pkgdb.db from a backup? You have backups, right?), it's trial and error at best. Just reinstall what you appear to be missing, and take it from there. Also, the contents of /var/db/ports may lend some clues as to what you had installed, because these 'options' file don't disappear.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

How about trying:

Code:
 pkgdb -F
Then reinstall the missing dependencies that show up. I'd guess something like gnome-media will show up as missing for one.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2008
Spam Refugee

Not all deleted ports may be dependencies, some are 'top level'.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

True, but those should be easier to spot when the OP tries to use them and nothing happens.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2008
Fdisk Soldier

thanks for the tip about pkgdb -F, but there were no problems with any missing dependencies etc, only something about deleted ca-roots certificates.
From what I can see in /var/db/ports/ the only ones I had there were mplayer mencoder and xine.
But the real problem is with gnome-setting-daemon, whatever that is. Is that what is causing the appearance and language sound etc problems?
There is somthing mentioned that one cannot run gnome-settings-daemon one should reinstall /sysutils/gnomecontrolcenter2 to fix this? What are your thoughts on this, when I try to run the settings-daemon I get
Code:
 /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libgstaudio-0.10.so.0" not found, required by "gnome-settings-daemon"

ps. Interesting to note for me is that the entries in /var/db/ports are not removed when you run "make deinstall". What is the difference between "make deinstall" and "pkg_delete" when it comes to ports.

Last edited by kasse; 4th September 2008 at 06:58 PM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

gnome-settings-daemon does control the appearance and such.

I believe that library is part of gstreamer.

Upon rethinking this, I don't thing that make deinstall will remove anything from pkgdb although it does remove it from /var/db/pkg. Someone can correct me on this, I been using portinstall for too long.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Might I ask if you know what I should do? I have tried to reinstall gnome-settings-daemon, but I run into problems with that it requires never versions of everything installed. Initially I reinstalled what it complained about but now it got to a point where it seems like it might be easier to reinstall gnomecontrolcenter or whatever. Heck it migh be easier to save all important files and reinstall freebsd all together.
Old 5th September 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasse View Post
ps. Interesting to note for me is that the entries in /var/db/ports are not removed when you run "make deinstall". What is the difference between "make deinstall" and "pkg_delete" when it comes to ports.
When in doubt, read the man page: ports(7)

/var/db/pkg is the "installed packages database" that lists which ports/packages are installed, their files, their dependencies, etc.

/var/db/ports is the "port configuration database" that stores the selections you make in the OPTIONS screens when installing ports. You can view the selection by running make showconfig in a port directory. And you can delete them with make rmconfig. And you can change them using make config. These are not deleted when you remove a port/package because then you would lose your settings when upgrading ports.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 5th September 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasse View Post
Might I ask if you know what I should do? I have tried to reinstall gnome-settings-daemon, but I run into problems with that it requires never versions of everything installed. Initially I reinstalled what it complained about but now it got to a point where it seems like it might be easier to reinstall gnomecontrolcenter or whatever. Heck it migh be easier to save all important files and reinstall freebsd all together.
Install either portmaster or portupgrade and use that to upgrade gnome-whatever, and it will automatically update/install all the required dependencies.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 5th September 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I tried portupgrade -frRPP gnome-control-center, but I still cannot run gnome-settings-daemon I get /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libgnomekbd.so.1" not found, required by "gnome-settings-daemon"
Perhaps gnome-settings-daemon is not in the upwards dependencies of gnome-control-center. I could try the portupgrade -frRPP with gnome-settings-daemon, but it took so long several hours with the control-center, that I do not want to do it unless I have some clue that it is the correct thing to do.