DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th February 2012
Spam Deminer

Default Proposal: drop support for gnome and kde

Some reasons (don't in order):
- minor hardware support, that means a higher probability of use in obsolete machines with scarce system resources
- small BSD team, so if the team shouldn't commit its own resources on these fat desktop manager, have more time for other things (for example more recent packages on the stable branch)
- makes few sense use similar desktop manager on an openbsd system
If someone has the courage to confess such a use, I will haunt him personally, even in his sleep.
- everyone known the graphics driver bloody mess on 2d and 3d so the decision from
Gnome 3(1) - where the 2d isn't a priority (for a possibility of use even on old system) and so, in the end, you can use similar solution with proprietary driver or, you should hope, that the open specific driver work (possibly without regression from one release to the next release).
Sure on openbsd now is used gnome2 but once the project is dead, efforts to keep it going to increase.
I don't known about kde, if is present the same limitations, because i don't like it, so i don't use that desktop environment.

Naturally i speak only about the desktop manager and don't about the library (gtk and qt) or certain component that don't require too much dependency.

If someone find the lack of a desktop manager however remain Xfce.

Note:
(1) Only on the more recent release something is build for a 2d use.
Naturally drop even mono support.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th February 2012
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleunix View Post
- small BSD team, so if the team shouldn't commit its own resources on these fat desktop manager, have more time for other things (for example more recent packages on the stable branch)
Porters generally work on what interests them. The people maintaining Gnome on OpenBSD are quite interested in Gnome. If they worked on things they aren’t interested in, I suspect they would become much less productive.

As for maintaining packages on -stable, the main reason this isn’t done is simply because most porters don’t care about -stable. Nearly all porters use -current and having a -stable installation means general lack of access to several updates in both src and ports. Of course, if someone is willing to maintain -stable ports, the project would happily accept their work…
Quote:
- makes few sense use similar desktop manager on an openbsd system
I personally find it baffling, but some people do use it and some people do like it. For example, see this article by ajacoutot@, who does much of the work on Gnome in OpenBSD (and a ton of other work besides).
Quote:
Sure on openbsd now is used gnome2
I think there has been a lot of effort to switch to Gnome 3 in OpenBSD, but I don’t follow it very closely so I could be incorrect.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th February 2012
bsdstudent

Hi Aliunix !
I beg to differ .. I'd rather they keep porting/developing gnome , because it's less bloated and more efficient and constitutes (as package , not as port) a fast+robust+friendly desktop for the newcomer lest they should be estranged by dissimilar window managers which are peculiar to unix .. I mean windows/mac users trying to discover BSD Magic .. strangely .. they expect the *newly tested OS* to greet them with a similar shiny desktop .. so here comes the importance of gnome .. and later on they may do without it .. or continue to use at will .. I don't use gdm nor xdm .. just xinit .. either to default fvwm ($xinit /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc) or gnome (xinit /usr/local/bin/gnome-session) .. simple ..

Tags
desktop manager, drop, gnome, kde, support