DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2013
Arp Constable

Default NYT OpEd by Julian Assange

Quote:
“THE New Digital Age” is a startlingly clear and provocative blueprint for technocratic imperialism, from two of its leading witch doctors, Eric Schmidt and Jared Cohen, who construct a new idiom for United States global power in the 21st century. This idiom reflects the ever closer union between the State Department and Silicon Valley, as personified by Mr. Schmidt, the executive chairman of Google, and Mr. Cohen, a former adviser to Condoleezza Rice and Hillary Clinton who is now director of Google Ideas.
The Banality of ‘Don’t Be Evil

Provocative reading.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2013
Administrator

The title of the article is a play on the words that Hannah Ahrendt used in her report of the court trial of Echmann in Jerusalem in 1963. See Banality of evil
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th June 2013
Port Guard

Like in Banality of evil by Echmann, ppl propably would agree on whatever major digital players will "propose", or "impose", for that matter... Since it's "normal"...

Check out "Digital Vertigo" by Andrew Keen - similar issue, different perspective...

I can remember protests when ACTA came out: thousands of young people shouting "Who's for ACTA is a f****n homo!" and "Prime minister's a thief!" on main square, banners with "Save Facebook!" or "Save Youtube" on them, damn... I wanted to puke...

In a meanwhile - another, more sinister stuff was about to come...

When those young idiots fought ACTA on the streets of my city, local universities in collaboration with UN funded programs began development of rudimentary AI system called I.N.D.E.C.T. Now there is nothing we can do, ACTA was, lets say, delayed, and my neighbors got first working stuff:

Now it serves as a fast-emergency call for old people. You know... When grandpa is standing upright, robo sees him as a vertical rectangle; when grandpa falls, he becomes horizontal rectangle and robo calls 911.

In the future, massive-almost-self-conscious robo will monitor every damn street in this city, analyzing if You're, by any chance, don't sit around on the pavement for a minute too long, because it's a class 3 infraction, prosecuted to the fullest extent of a law on basis of UE clause 88-C... Especially in no-talking zones with speech-jammers on the walls ;-)

Well... Whatever happens, we're getting back on the couch... Check out: [I dont like TED very much, but this one is interesting: ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h2dF-IsH0I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOE1HFEL8XA
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2013
Banned

We are all screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
We're screwed, let's have lunch!