DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General Hardware

General Hardware General hardware related questions.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th April 2015
Arp Constable

Default Linksys WRT54G v8.0 and DD-WRT

I still use a Linksys WRT54G that has been stable and mostly solid. When Cisco purchased Linksys, firmware upgrades ceased and the model is listed as no longer supported. Previous firmware upgrades addressed some security issues.

There is a recent version of DD-WRT for this particular router. For me the main reason to flash to DD-WRT would be security issues. Is there a place to look for security issues - general internet searches just say that routers are vulnerable and give no specifics.

The router sits behind a Cisco 678 modem and I've yet to implement a firewall.

Last edited by shep; 12th April 2015 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th April 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
...general internet searches just say that routers are vulnerable and give no specifics....
Here's your specifics. This was the first hit from Google using wrt54g vulnerability as the search string.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th April 2015
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

I flashed DD-WRT to a Netgear I had years back after successfully attacking it (the stock firmware) with reaver (WPS brute force program for routers whose stock firmware lets you "turn off" WPS).

A bit later, my wife gave me a buffalo N600 for Christmas, and as I already had an AP that supported DD-WRT (but not OpenWRT), I tried OpenWRT on the buffalo.

They're both really nice. I've retired the Netgear in favor of the Buffalo (still running OpenWRT), but I'd still have no issues with DD-WRT either way.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th April 2015
Arp Constable

Quote:
Here's your specifics. This was the first hit from Google using wrt54g vulnerability as the search string.
I used "linksys + security" and "linksys+security+vulnerability". "Linksys+cve" also gives cvedetails as the first hit.

The DD-WRT version for my system was built in 2009 and the latest firmware upgrade was from 2011.

In an effort to up my security, I set the web interface to https only to find that the routers certificate is self-signed and Firefox 31 has an issue adding certificates. The micro version of DD-WRT does not support https so I'm going to leave it as it for now.

Last edited by shep; 12th April 2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added self-signed certificates information
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th April 2015
Too dumb for a smartphone

I would try asking on the dd-wrt user forum (if you haven't already).

Tags
dd-wrt