Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd February 2013
Administrator

Default Microsoft secure Azure Storage goes down WORLDWIDE

From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02...r_happen_ever/

Quote:
Microsoft's Windows Azure storage cloud is having worldwide problems with secure SSL storage, probably because Redmond let the HTTPS certificate expire.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd February 2013
Daemonology student

If that's really the case, then...

#3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th February 2013
Administrator

A post commenting on this article http://forums.theregister.co.uk/foru...aining/1740921 concludes:

Quote:
Let's merge two EL Reg topics

1) MS Azure goes down worldwide because Microsoft didn't renew a Key.

2) MS wants PCs to check that bootloader code is signed with what is basically an MS Key.

Scenario: MS forgets to renew their bootloader Key. ^_^
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th February 2013
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
I feel like in the MS world there are two kinds of people and sub-organizations: system admin and developer. Seems to me like MS, the whole company, is a developer culture somehow and not at all a sys admin culture. This isn't their first screw up, right? Remember when their servers got hacked and somebody pulled their source code.

Seems like in the Unix world, there isn't as strong a division between development and admin. Perhaps because admin is actually pleasant enough for a developer to not instantly lose interest in, on the one hand, and the sysadmin's are allowed some development since they're not considered to be such a separate kind of life form. Or perhaps it's that there's a culture of Unix everyone more or less agrees on that includes a set of guidelines for how systems should be administrated and that ordinary users and developers are expected to learn the more important of these rules.

These are gross generalizations of course. Still, isn't it an odd idea that you'd put data of any importance on a server MS controls (hotmail notwithstanding)?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2013
Arp Constable

Quote:
Seems like in the Unix world, there isn't as strong a division between development and admin.
I suspect that early on - the "admins" were the developers. The internet and open source concept allowed both collaboration and wide spread testing.

More detail is in Eric Raymond' paper The Cathedral and the Bazaar - MS development occurs in the Cathedral whereas much of BSD/Linux development occurs in the bazaar.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2013
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
I feel like in the MS world there are two kinds of people and sub-organizations: system admin and developer. Seems to me like MS, the whole company, is a developer culture somehow and not at all a sys admin culture.
As a developer in the MS world I think I might be offended by this

But from my experience, things are very segmented in the MS world to the point of even tunnel vision. In general the sysadmin don't want to know anything about programming and programmers don't want to know anything about sytem administration. There have been quite a few time that I have suggested solution to "problems" that would not have problem if the programmers had some knowledge of system administration and vice versa. My use of the *BSDs has definitely giving my a holistic approach to the way I do things in the windows world.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2013
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post

But from my experience, things are very segmented in the MS world to the point of even tunnel vision. In general the sysadmin don't want to know anything about programming and programmers don't want to know anything about sytem administration. There have been quite a few time that I have suggested solution to "problems" that would not have problem if the programmers had some knowledge of system administration and vice versa. My use of the *BSDs has definitely giving my a holistic approach to the way I do things in the windows world.
And this is exactly the sort of problem UNIX systems avoid by being transparent, simple, modular, and easily `hackable'.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2013
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
I'm actually a developer in the Windows world too, unfortunately.

I wonder if it's possible to switch over. It's so frustrating sometimes. Like today, someone was trying to get me a very large file from some remote server. For some reason, the only way he could do this was to use remote desktop's file copying feature (drag from remote desktop window to your local file explorer). But because of his set up he couldn't do this without visiting the machine and moving his mouse from time to time to prevent his session from timing out. No doubt there's a better way, but it seems like we're always doing these kinds of hokey things because the better ways aren't available in the default install. Or the network admin, who would know or have permission to set up the better ways, is in his own world and not available to work extensively with developers to avoid silliness like this.

I guess things work too well in the Unix world for there to be as many jobs, eh? I remember talking to a developer who would only do Perl on Unix, nothing else. I envied his confidence, that he didn't feel he had to do Windows work.