DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

Old 20th June 2008
Risen from the ashes

If all your hardware is supported by Linux kernel 2.6.18, and your CPU doesn't support hardware virtualisation, and you will only be running NetBSD or Linux in your virtual machines, then Xen 3.0 (not 3.1 or 3.2) is very nice. Fairly easy to use, very fast, very lightweight.

However, if your CPU support hardware virtualisation, then go with with a Linux distro that uses kernel 2.6.24, and use Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM). With that, you can create virtual machines you can run *any* 32-bit or 64-bit PC-based OS (any BSD, any Linux, any Windows, etc). KVM is very easy to use, is very lightweight, is very easy to understand, and performance is very close to native (around 80% in most benchmarks). There's also paravirtual disk and network drivers available for Linux and Windows which give native I/O performance. For more info, check http:///kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki/ and http://www.linux-kvm.com

We're moving all our VM hosts to KVM. It's just better than Xen.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 20th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by satimis View Post
Notthing found. Most links are music and vedio
You should use torrents.to then, I have found many Solaris releases there.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 20th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
If all your hardware is supported by Linux kernel 2.6.18, and your CPU doesn't support hardware virtualisation, and you will only be running NetBSD or Linux in your virtual machines, then Xen 3.0 (not 3.1 or 3.2) is very nice. Fairly easy to use, very fast, very lightweight.

However, if your CPU support hardware virtualisation, then go with with a Linux distro that uses kernel 2.6.24, and use Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM). With that, you can create virtual machines you can run *any* 32-bit or 64-bit PC-based OS (any BSD, any Linux, any Windows, etc). KVM is very easy to use, is very lightweight, is very easy to understand, and performance is very close to native (around 80% in most benchmarks). There's also paravirtual disk and network drivers available for Linux and Windows which give native I/O performance. For more info, check http:///kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki/ and http://www.linux-kvm.com

Interesting post phoenix, I've been looking at Xen recently but will now be checking out KVM. Thanks.
Old 20th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
You should use torrents.to then, I have found many Solaris releases there.
I got it. Thanks

B.R.
satimis
Old 20th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post

Hi phoenix,

I have no hardware problem.

I'll take your advice installing Zenwalk Linus as host and run KVM on it as virtual server. Thanks

B.R.
satimis
Old 21st June 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by satimis View Post
Hi folks,

What I need is a reliable OS, light weight, running as host with GUI browser and filer running for file management. All servers installed on the Virtual machine will be headless. Installation/configuration will be done via the host. I need a GUI browser for Internet browsing for help and techical doc during config. I need a filer managing the files download.

What will be a good combination qemu and *.OS? Thanks

B.R.
satimis
Well I have some VMs running on CentOS 5, some on OpenSuSE 10.3 and some on Ubuntu server. The Ubuntu sever does not have a GUI installed and all my VMs are headless and all *BSD. I didn't want Linux either but if I didn't go that way for the host OS I am severely limiting my choices. All of my hosts run VMware server because the other VMs seem limited in choice of OS and processor, etc. I have had great luck with all of these host OS's and my SuSE box has been in production for over a year now. CentOS seems to perform quite well also and has a GUI installed by default but you could just run in runlevel 3 if you don't need the GUI.

The day VMware supports *BSD as a host OS I am there.

-Tim
Old 21st June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

The latest KVM's, on boxes with the virtualization built into the processor, also do 64 bit and SMP--actually, more CPUs than VMware server. VMware server does have the ease of use thing, especially with bridged networking.

There is, by the way, a bounty out for VMware on FreeBSD and Orlando, the fellow who did the VMware 3 port, has taken it up, so there's hope that you'll get your VMware on FreeBSD one of these days.

I do find VMware rather resource intensive. I don't like the direction that they seem to be going with their 2.0 beta, though I guess it's aimed at a very powerful server running several VMs. Rather than give you the console of the machine by default, it gives you a web management interface.

I don't want to post misinformation, and my memory is hazy on this, but I think (and maybe someone can confirm this or correct it if it's wrong) that the 2.0 beta puts in its own version of java, and uses up port 80 (by default, which can be changed.) Not realizing this, I messed up a test installation of nagios, which could no longer use port 80 because VMware had it. In contrast, nagios and cacti can play nicely together, both using port 80.
Old 22nd June 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
VMware server does have the ease of use thing, especially with bridged networking.
If by ease-of-use, you mean "there's one way to do it, using one interface, and there's no configuration possible". (And don't get me started on how horrible the network setup in Xen has become.)

The really nice thing about KVM is that you don't have to learn a new way of networking. You use the tools in the host OS to configure the network. If you want eth0 to be your bridge, you can. If you want eth3 through eth6 to be separate bridges assigned to separate VMs, without IPs, with eth0 a management interface with an IP, you can. If you want to create a large bond0 using eth1 through eth6, and then use that for the bridge, you can. Anything you can do normally in Linux networking, you can configure for the networking for the VMs.

Quote:
I do find VMware rather resource intensive. I don't like the direction that they seem to be going with their 2.0 beta, though I guess it's aimed at a very powerful server running several VMs. Rather than give you the console of the machine by default, it gives you a web management interface.
Yes, that is really going in the wrong direction, IMO. I participated in the beta process for a bit, and wrote up a report for them on how bad the web GUI was, how slow it was, how unstable it was, how resource intensive it was, and to please, please, please bring back a native management console. Not everything needs to be web-based.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.