DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2008
molom

Default Is FreeBSD for me?

Hi,
I am looking into FreeBSD and OpenBSD. I'm sure you've heard a lot of 'FreeBSD vs OpenBSD' threads, but I'm going to make it simpler.

Here are some things I don't want to hear because I know them:
- OpenBSD can work on far more systems - DEC Alpha, Intel i386, Hewlett-Packard PA-RISC, AMD AMD64 and Motorola 68000 processors, Apple's PowerPC machines, Sun SPARC and SPARC64-based computers, the VAX and the Sharp Zaurus, while FreeBSD only works on Intel x86 family (IA-32) IBM PC compatible computers, DEC Alpha, Sun UltraSPARC, IA-64, AMD64, PowerPC, ARM and NEC PC-9801. I don't really care what it can run on, x86 and amd64 is all I really need.
- There are more packages using ports in FreeBSD - I know that, and that is something that interests me more than anything else atm, but there might be something that might convince me more to use OpenBSD than FreeBSD, and thats why I ask the questions below.

Here are some questions:
I know that OpenBSD is far more secure to FreeBSD (Correct me, if I'm wrong), but will OpenBSD make my BSD experience in any way better if I use it as a desktop instead of a server over FreeBSD in the security aspect?
And are there any other benefits of OpenBSD over FreeBSD visa versa?

Here are some unrelated questions:
Is it possible to get mono working on FreeBSD or OpenBSD?
And I love fspot (The photomanager) and Banshee (The music manager/player), is there a way to get these apps running on FreeBSD or OpenBSD?
Is it possible to compile tarballs for FreeBSD or OpenBSD, or is that just a Linux thing?

I am leaning more towards FreeBSD, but as I said, I don't know much and there might be things that you guys can tell me that can change my mind.

Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Just for the mono part. Mono application run fine on FreeBSD and mono is in the ports. I have had a little bit of success getting MonoDevelop to run on FreeBSD. But compiling Mono apps inside of MonoDevelop is a pain. It seems never to be alble to find the required libs.

I believe fspot and Banshee are in the ports. I installed Banshee once but didn't cre for it.

If your asking can you compile from a tarball of an application yes you can. If the application is Linux specific you may have to do some tweaking. The ports system basically is a wrapper for compiling from tarballs - that's a way over simplification.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2008
molom

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
Just for the mono part. Mono application run fine on FreeBSD and mono is in the ports. I have had a little bit of success getting MonoDevelop to run on FreeBSD. But compiling Mono apps inside of MonoDevelop is a pain. It seems never to be alble to find the required libs.

I believe fspot and Banshee are in the ports. I installed Banshee once but didn't cre for it.

If your asking can you compile from a tarball of an application yes you can. If the application is Linux specific you may have to do some tweaking. The ports system basically is a wrapper for compiling from tarballs - that's a way over simplification.
Thats odd, I couldn't find banshee and fspot in freshports, I'll have to look again.

Thanks
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by molom View Post
Here are some questions:
I know that OpenBSD is far more secure to FreeBSD (Correct me, if I'm wrong), but will OpenBSD make my BSD experience in any way better if I use it as a desktop instead of a server over FreeBSD in the security aspect?
And are there any other benefits of OpenBSD over FreeBSD visa versa?

Are you so paranoid???
If you roobed bank using windows, and now think that BSD system will help you to hide backtrace....I doubt it will. lol

FreeBSD is Great system.
I use it as desktop and it Works well.
I haven't tried OpenBSD, but who, and why the hell someone would like to bother hacking my FreeBSD system?

also FreeBSD security relies on how you configure it....
Even OneBSD ain't foolproof....

Last edited by graudeejs; 15th July 2008 at 03:15 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2008
Arp Constable

You can build stuff from tarballs but it's usually easier to use ports where possible because that is basically what ports does through makefiles.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2008
Fdisk Soldier

If its performance on multicore processors that you're after, then FreeBSD is the way to go.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2008
molom

Quote:
Originally Posted by killasmurf View Post
Are you so paranoid???
Yes

Quote:
FreeBSD is Great system.
I know that, thats why I want a security comparison between freebsd and openbsd

Quote:
I haven't tried OpenBSD, but who, and why the hell someone would like to bother hacking my FreeBSD system?
Who knows?

Quote:
Even OneBSD ain't foolproof....
Really? I was persuaded by this - http://youtube.com/watch?v=W9fQa00CB9U
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2008
molom

Well I couldn't manage to find banshee or fspot, can someone help me out?
PCBSD doesn't even have it in their PBI directory, which I find unusual because it seems like a place where they have all those novice programs.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2008
Arp Constable

graphics/f-spot in ports, banshee I have no idea where it is in ports.

It's a c# app so it probably depends on either lang/mono (The Mono Project) or lang/pnet (DotGNU portable .NET and C# compiler) along with various gnome related ports.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 16th July 2008
molom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
graphics/f-spot in ports, banshee I have no idea where it is in ports.

It's a c# app so it probably depends on either lang/mono (The Mono Project) or lang/pnet (DotGNU portable .NET and C# compiler) along with various gnome related ports.
Thanks, maybe Novell will wake up to their senses and recognize that FreeBSD is more important than SUSE Linux
Old 16th July 2008
ISO Quartermaster

I doubt, they will
Old 16th July 2008
Package Pilot

OpenBSD is great on security. But I simply can't use it on a multi-cpu, multi-core system and expect to squeeze excellent performance out of it. I've seen OpenBSD crash to it's knees when running performance testing.

Now in terms of security, a good administrator could secure just about any OS. Heck, you give me a Windows Server 2k3 box, and I'll make it one of the most secure boxes in the world by pulling the cat5, locking it in a cabinet and melting the key down.

So it's really a matter of what you're using it for. Need a high performance MySQL server? I'd go with FreeBSD. Want a desktop? Well personally I'd still go with FreeBSD just because it's what I'm used to and have been using for years, but OpenBSD is a viable alternative on the desktop.

Last edited by cajunman4life; 16th July 2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 16th July 2008
ISO Quartermaster

OpneBSD=XFree86, FreeBSD=Xorg7.x
Meaning, Desktop <=== FreeBSD
Old 16th July 2008
Banned

Quote:
OpneBSD=XFree86, FreeBSD=Xorg7.x
Meaning, Desktop <=== FreeBSD
That's wrong.

OpenBSD uses Xenocara, (Xorg 7x).. and it has since 4.2.

Again, do your research before spreading lies..
Old 17th July 2008
Arp Constable

Does anyone actually use XFree86 anymore?

Well, who wouldn't consider using Windows 3.11 for the same machine... hehe