DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2008
molom

Default Is FreeBSD for me?

Hi,
I am looking into FreeBSD and OpenBSD. I'm sure you've heard a lot of 'FreeBSD vs OpenBSD' threads, but I'm going to make it simpler.

Here are some things I don't want to hear because I know them:
- OpenBSD can work on far more systems - DEC Alpha, Intel i386, Hewlett-Packard PA-RISC, AMD AMD64 and Motorola 68000 processors, Apple's PowerPC machines, Sun SPARC and SPARC64-based computers, the VAX and the Sharp Zaurus, while FreeBSD only works on Intel x86 family (IA-32) IBM PC compatible computers, DEC Alpha, Sun UltraSPARC, IA-64, AMD64, PowerPC, ARM and NEC PC-9801. I don't really care what it can run on, x86 and amd64 is all I really need.
- There are more packages using ports in FreeBSD - I know that, and that is something that interests me more than anything else atm, but there might be something that might convince me more to use OpenBSD than FreeBSD, and thats why I ask the questions below.

Here are some questions:
I know that OpenBSD is far more secure to FreeBSD (Correct me, if I'm wrong), but will OpenBSD make my BSD experience in any way better if I use it as a desktop instead of a server over FreeBSD in the security aspect?
And are there any other benefits of OpenBSD over FreeBSD visa versa?

Here are some unrelated questions:
Is it possible to get mono working on FreeBSD or OpenBSD?
And I love fspot (The photomanager) and Banshee (The music manager/player), is there a way to get these apps running on FreeBSD or OpenBSD?
Is it possible to compile tarballs for FreeBSD or OpenBSD, or is that just a Linux thing?

I am leaning more towards FreeBSD, but as I said, I don't know much and there might be things that you guys can tell me that can change my mind.

Thanks