DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2010
Arp Constable

Default Status of Current amd64

A recent security flaw in my linux desktop has motivated me to replace my Slackware64 system with OpenBSD.
http://www.invisiblethingslab.com/re...ry-attacks.pdf

I would like to go with current (23Aug2010 at the time of this post) if it runs. Any big issues seen by other current users?

Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2010
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
I would like to go with current (23Aug2010 at the time of this post) if it runs. Any big issues seen by other current users?

Thanks
One big thing to keep in mind is that OpenBSD doesn't have bigmem support yet. You'll be limited to 4 GB RAM even on amd64.

On the other hand, I've been running CURRENT on my work desktop since 4.5, and only once have I run into a problem that made me want to downgrade (and the problem was fixed very quickly, so I simply upgraded to a newer snapshot to resolve the issue).

A lot of this success is related to what hardware I have, so YMMV with running current (though current tends to support the most hardware and have the most functionality).
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket357 View Post
A lot of this success is related to what hardware I have, so YMMV with running current (though current tends to support the most hardware and have the most functionality).
Not to sidestep discussion, but clean power helps too. At a bare minimum, I use power strips which will help smooth out the incoming signal. Better yet is the use of a UPS which does a better job at the same task.

FWIW.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2010
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Not to sidestep discussion, but clean power helps too. At a bare minimum, I use power strips which will help smooth out the incoming signal. Better yet is the use of a UPS which does a better job at the same task.

FWIW.
Absolutely. My Dad had a Windows box that kept "eating" dialup modems (this was a few years back, but still) even though he had everything on a power strip. He finally took it in to have it looked at, and the guy suggested he purchase a more expensive power strip than the $5 one he had. After he did that modems stopped frying.