DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2020
More noise than signal

Default Recording audio with OpenBSD

To keep me occupied and to stop driving her crazy, my girlfriend recommended I start transferring her '70s music collection onto our phones. Hers is an iPhone, mine's an Android.

---

Audacity integrates with sndio(7), but only with the default device. So I had to set AUDIODEVICE=snd/1 for recording from USB with it, then unset the environment variable to edit what was recorded. Sequentially. The application won't permit multiple instances.

To monitor while recording, I used $ aucat -f snd/1 -o - | aucat -i - &.

--

Workflow: Audacity > ffmpeg > mp4tags, then...
Android: simple-mtpfs > cp.
iPhone: ntfs-3g > cp > reboot in win10 > CopyTrans Control Center > CopyTrans Manager.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2020
Too dumb for a smartphone

I remember doing a big project like that back around 2004 or so (though not on BSD). It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about computer audio. (In saying "a lot", I mean compared to nearly nothing where I started at.) I also remember spending a lot of time cleaning vinyl --- not sure if it did much good in most cases.

I didn't use a heavy application like audacity, just smaller programs to record the sound to a .wav or .raw file. I wrote a lot of shell scripts to manipulate the files and cut them up etc. I guess it depends how much time you want to spend on it, I'm sure it would be faster with audacity (which I've never used, but coincidentally I've been mulling over perhaps compiling it in the near future).

I'm wondering why the need for Windows 10 --- it sounds awful !! Wouldn't it be possible to download the files to the phone by WiFi ?

Anyway I'm glad you have a fun project to work on, enjoy!
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2020
Linux

In Linux I used progam LMMS - it's much more powerful than audacity.
It's in OpenBSD 6.7 packages (lmms-1.2.0p0.tgz), but I've never used it on OpenBSD.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2020
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
I'm wondering why the need for Windows 10...
Apple-provided drivers to interface with the onboard music library.