DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Guides

Guides All Guides and HOWTO's.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2008
Administrator

Default Why you should write a guide/howto in XML

Several of the howto's/guides I have written I wrote in XML.. You can consider this XML file as a source file.

With a XSLT file you can compile/transform this XML source file into another format. I have one to produce Vbulletin formatting and another XSLT file produces HTML.

Advantage is that you need only once source file.

The Vbulletin version can be pasted into a post in the Guides section.
The HTML version you can attach to the post for downloading. That way people can easily print your HTML formatted guide from a browser.

For example see http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50433 where the first three posts are text formatted with Vbulletin tags. In the fourth and last post you can download the HTML version.

The Vbulletin version has these CVS tags
Code:
$Id: new-iso-itis.xml,v 1.11 2007/06/27 04:41:19 j65nko Exp $
$Id: vbul-html.xsl,v 1.6 2007/06/27 04:49:57 j65nko Exp $
The HTML version has
Code:
Id: new-iso-itis.xml,v 1.11 2007/06/27 04:41:19 j65nko Exp $
$Id: howto.xsl,v 1.7 2007/06/27 01:04:44 j65nko Exp $
Notice the identical CVS tags for the new-iso-itis.xml source file while the *xsl files are different.

Before I write a guide about writing a guide using this method, I would like to have some feedback from others. So if somebody is interested in playing with this stuff then please let me know.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

txt2tags is also very nice, I made a patch to support bbcode (-t bbcode), I attached the patch (and the test document I used) in this message.
The advantage txt2tags has over XSLT is that it's a lot easier (And still works pretty well).

Another thing I'm working on is making the guide section a wiki, I'm using dokuwiki as a backend, I'm working on integrating it a bit with vB.
... so this will also affect things, adding new output syntax to txt2tags is fairly simply, I'm not familiar with XSLT so I can't say anything about that...
Attached Files
File Type: t2t bbcode.t2t (1.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: diff txt2tags.diff (5.7 KB, 74 views)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2008
Arp Constable

When I write documents, I generally use TeX with LaTeX macros. I also like that I can have the .tex files converted into many formats and can use a bit of Make+Perl for automating and tweaking outputs.

I'm fluent in XHTML and used to use XHTML+CSS as a replacement for word processors (which finally pissed me off enough to stop using for all but viewing docs). But, I've come to using TeX/LaTeX for different reasons hehe.

When I write some thing for a forum though, I normally keep strictly to Bulletin Board Code ;-)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2008
Noob In Training

I find the topic intriguing and I've wanted to set aside the time to learn LaTeX for some time. The only thing I worry about is that we geeks sometimes bypass ease of use for geek cred. I'm guilty as charged
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

Interesting; I've been using the heck out of xml2rfc of late and it really does simplify production of an ID/RFC format document by allowing you to lay things out in a very ordered manner.