DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General Hardware

General Hardware General hardware related questions.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2011
Port Guard

Default Intel & Geforce/NVIDIA...

Is there any way to avoid using these brands in my build? I'm preparing to have PC done at custom-build shop, and want to trial PC-BSD 8.1 & GhostBSD 2.0, but it appears both rely on these brands. I really don't like Intel & NVIDIA....do I have any options? Been told that ATI graphic cards will not work. Are there any off brands that BSD likes?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2011
Banned

ATI/AMD does not release proprietary drivers for BSD, but they do release programing specifications which has allowed open source drivers to be written for Xorg (..but generally Linux sees it first, before it's ported).

I'm not sure how FreeBSD (..which PC-BSD/GhostBSD are simply redistributions) is doing in that area.. but if you avoid purchasing the latest models it should be somewhat tolerable in performance.

Unfortunately, a lot of people do not care about the risks associated with loading proprietary kernel modules.. if you're one of those people you can use NVIDIA devices.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th March 2011
Port Guard

Default Thanks for the info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
ATI/AMD does not release proprietary drivers for BSD, but they do release programing specifications which has allowed open source drivers to be written for Xorg (..but generally Linux sees it first, before it's ported).

I'm not sure how FreeBSD (..which PC-BSD/GhostBSD are simply redistributions) is doing in that area.. but if you avoid purchasing the latest models it should be somewhat tolerable in performance.

Unfortunately, a lot of people do not care about the risks associated with loading proprietary kernel modules.. if you're one of those people you can use NVIDIA devices.
so no 'off-brand' graphic cards release proprietary drivers for BSD?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th March 2011
Administrator

ATI cards usually work, if you don't get the latest model, but one that has been out for some time.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th March 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetus View Post
Is there any way to avoid using these brands in my build?
I have used Intel GMA 3100/3500/X3100/X4500 with FreeBSD i386/amd64 and all of them worked flawlessly ...

I used binary nVidia blob long time ago, and it was not stable then (I fall back to nv driver, so someone with 'up to date' experience should tell You more.

... I havent had the possibility of checking ATI/AMD gfx cards either.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd