DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General Hardware

General Hardware General hardware related questions.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2011
Arp Constable

Default BSD's and the newer Video Drivers

I am looking at getting a low power motherboard was wondering if the newer intel NM10 boards have xorg support in either FreeBSD or OpenBSD?

I found this article on the issue it looks like OpenBSD has the 2.14 xf86-video-intel driver but I am a little confused as if this driver is supposed to have linux centric Kernel Mode setting or if the BSD's have implemented a work around?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODcwNQ

Anyone running xorg in this chipset with the intel driver?

My initial search were using NM10 and intel. Different search terms indicate the video is supported
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
OpenBSD 4.7 doesn't support GEM/KMS and you need those to use the latest Intel drivers. I have no problem to use GMA 3150 (Atom) with OpenBSD current, 4.8 will support Intel driver 2.9.x.

Last edited by shep; 26th March 2011 at 01:35 AM. Reason: clarify question
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2011
Banned

The official xf86-video-intel DDX driver is maintained by Intel, they removed UMS in their tree and tend to introduce bugs for older Intel chipsets.

OpenBSD's driver is a sort of mishmash of changes that have been back ported, I believe support for GEM and DRI2 is partially supported.. but not KMS.

Not sure what the latest supported chipset is, unfortunately, trying before buying is the "best" way to be sure.. regardless, Intel isn't known for very fast graphics.. but that shouldn't be an issue unless you're into gaming.

The primary developer in this area of the tree is apparently not very actively lately due to his personal life, hopefully work will start up again soon for 5.0/5.1.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
I am looking at getting a low power motherboard was wondering if the newer intel NM10 boards have xorg support in either FreeBSD or OpenBSD?
There is a project to add GEM/KMS support to FreeBSD kernel:
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=21852

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2011
UNIX lover

Yeah it works with GMA3150, I even have got xv accel :-)