DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd March 2013
Shell Scout

Default Can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty'

Hello everyone, I'm trying to install NetBSD 6.0.1 from a USB stick on my Emachines netbook. When the system starts booting I get the following message which repeats every minute without going further:

Can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port '/dev/console': No such file or directory

Google search has showed that I'm far from being the first one who has experienced this, but I still can't find out from there what is the solution.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th March 2013
Shell Scout

Some more information on that.

The partition on the memory stick containing the installation disk (as copied from NetBSD-6.0.1-i386.iso) is /dev/sd0f (2nd one).

The GRUB2 entry is as follows:

Quote:
menuentry "NetBSD 6.0.1" {
insmod ufs2
set root=(hd0,2)
knetbsd /netbsd --root=sd0f
}
When the booting process starts, it gets stopped at the following messages:

Quote:
boot device: sd0
root on sd0f dumps on sd0b
root file system type: ffs
warning: no /device/console
Created tmpfs /dev (1490944 byte, 2000 inodes)
init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port '/dev/console': No such file or directory
init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port '/dev/console': No such file or directory
etc.
Of course it has to be said that the last line concerns '/dev/console', not '/usr/libexec/getty', because the latter file is there for sure.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th March 2013
Administrator

It seems that warning: no /device/console is the cause for those
init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port '/dev/console':
messages.
Do you have a /dev/console device entry?

This is from OpenBSD BTW:
Code:
ls -l /dev/con*
crw-------  1 j65nko  j65nko    0,   0 Mar  5 20:21 /dev/console
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th March 2013
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
It seems that warning: no /device/console is the cause for those
init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port '/dev/console':
messages.
Do you have a /dev/console device entry?
No, in the installation CD ($NETBSD_FTP_SERVER/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-6.0.1/iso/NetBSD-6.0.1-i386.iso) the folder /dev has only one file, MAKEDEV. It seems that this script isn't run when needed. But as this is at the booting stage, I have no power to do any changes. Is it possible to activate MAKEDEV via GRUB2 anyhow?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th March 2013
Administrator

If the NetBSD installer, which if I understand you correctly is on a USB stick, allows you to escape to the shell, you could run # ./MAKEDEV all manually. That would create all necessary device entries in /dev.

You first would have to mount your disk, cd into /dev, copy the /MAKEDEV[ into /dev/ if it is not there and then run it.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th March 2013
Arp Constable

You may be making it more difficult by using the *.iso. NetBSD has *.img files for i386/amd64 that are specifically made for usb sticks. The are distinguished from *iso files by the suffix *.img
NetBSD usb install
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th March 2013
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
If the NetBSD installer, which if I understand you correctly is on a USB stick, allows you to escape to the shell, you could run # ./MAKEDEV all manually.
No, as I told you, it hangs during the boot process, before I can get into shell or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
You may be making it more difficult by using the *.iso. NetBSD has *.img files for i386/amd64 that are specifically made for usb sticks. The are distinguished from *iso files by the suffix *.img
Yes, I already decided to go this way as it did make sense. Nevertheless, I tend to think that the contents of .img and .iso are supposed to be the same, as the one is generated from the other, see here:

$WIKI_NETBSD_ORG/tutorials/how_to_install_netbsd_from_an_usb_memory_stick/#index5h2

Unfortunately I didn't succeed in mounting the .img image (apparently because of it containing MBR), so I had to break my scheme and record it onto the first partition of my memory stick. Originally I wanted to keep the first partition for GRUB and "burn" the NetBSD installation distro onto the second one (making multiboot with other partitions hosting different OSes). So I still have to work on it a bit more, and I want to compare the contents of .img and .iso in order to see the difference.

Anyway, the installation went smoothly and now NetBSD is installed, thanks everyone for willingness to help.