DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th August 2010
Banned

Default Virtualbox with Windows

See. I'd like to use windows, but I hate it. I don't fancy Linux much either. But, if I could get virtual box to run a Linux or Windows, add the Adobe Flash Player 10, I'd be programming and compiling Flash on an OpenBSD box!!! Yippie!

Anyone try this yet?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th August 2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrodozombie View Post
See. I'd like to use windows, but I hate it. I don't fancy Linux much either. But, if I could get virtual box to run a Linux or Windows, add the Adobe Flash Player 10, I'd be programming and compiling Flash on an OpenBSD box!!! Yippie!

Anyone try this yet?
VirtualBox does not work on OpenBSD, in fact, this thread is about the opposite, OpenBSD inside VirtualBox (..which is frowned upon by the devs).

The only options for "virtualization" is QEMU, for emulation there is Bochs but it's pure software emulation so it's very slow.

If you want to use OpenBSD, use OpenBSD, if you want to use Linux, use Linux, if for whatever reason you want to use Windows, then use Windows.

As for Adobe Flash, well, that's just crazy talk.

Please start new topics, no need to recycle.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th August 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrodozombie View Post
Anyone try this yet?
tetrodozombie, I'm separating out your thread as the original thread concerned OpenBSD 4.5 which is over a year old. OpenBSD 4.5 is also now unsupported. Although the topic appears to be the same, OpenBSD 4.7 is now the current version, & you should have started a new thread instead of resurrecting one that is so stale.

An additional resource you should check when it comes to compatibility is the project's official misc@ archives. The project's page on mailing lists:

http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html

...list several sites which archive the mailing lists. A favorite archive of several regulars here (including project developers...) is MARC.info. In particular, you will find useful information on using virtualization software with OpenBSD. In particular to VirtualBox, you should sift through the following search:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2...virtualbox&q=b

As for running Windows within a VM, this is something you will most likely need to experiment upon yourself.

And to underscore the point, as BSDfan666 has mentioned, the project developers are not enamored with either the quality or maturity of virtualization software, so there will not be a lot of information coming from the community.