DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th August 2010
New User

Default dual monitor ATI issues

I can't get openBSD 4.7 on amd64 to recognise that I have 2 monitors. It just displays exactly the same thing on each one, and xrandr claims I only have one:

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 400, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x1024 0.0*
1280x960 0.0
1152x864 0.0
1024x768 0.0
800x600 0.0
640x480 0.0
720x400 0.0

I think it is probably my graphics card drivers fault. I have a radeon 5750. Unfortunately all the threads I have found about fixing this kind of issue involve editing xorg.conf which doesn't even seem to exist.

I have both KDE and GNOME installed and working, in case it matters ^^

Any ideas, or commands I need to run to give you more info?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th August 2010
More noise than signal

You can create an xorg.conf file, by running "X -configure" as root. What is produced is based on X.org's analysis of your current hardware. Once created, you can modify it as you like.

IIRC, the command will create the file "/xorg.conf.new" -- which you can rename and move into /etc/X11.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th August 2010
New User

Thanks. Using that I've been trying out various xorg.configs. Unfortunatly I seem to always come up against the good old "screen 1 does not having a matching config file, discarding screen 1" error, and the warning

X:/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeonhd_drv.so: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so : WARNING : symbol(AtomBiosRequestList) size mismatch, relink your program

At least I have confirmed that neither the 'radeon' nor the 'radeonhd' drivers work - "vesa" is what X suggests instead. So far I have only tried the xinerama approach for using dual monitors, so I'll try the other methods when I get back. I have attached my xorg.conf on the off chance that I've simply made some foolish error.

Thanks for the help so far. This will get solved one way or another.
Attached Files
File Type: conf xorg.conf (3.8 KB, 68 views)
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th August 2010
New User

No edits allowed?

-Disregard that xorg.conf, now it claims 'no screens detected'. I'm going on holiday.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th August 2010
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Have you checked the man page for the driver you're using? I had the same problem with the nv driver a few years back until I checked the nv man page and saw that the driver has an option "DualHead" that had to be set to true to get non-mirrored dual monitors. radeon might have something similar.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2010
Spam Deminer

Dual monitors definitely will not work with the vesa driver. And the HD5xxx card will not work with radeonhd. You will have to get radeon working, and it will have to be a very recent version to support your GPU (probably 6.13.0 or higher). And, finally, you should one use one screen section and one device section.

Switch to the radeon driver, try to start X, and show us the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file that is generated.

Adam
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2010
New User

I've checked the man page and alas found nothing to that effect.

Adam, I've attached 2 xorg.0.logs; the first uses the autogenerated config and the second is the autogenerated one modified to use the radeon driver. The radeon error seems to simply say that the card isn't supported. The version is 6.12.2 so that is probably the problem. How do you update to a later version of the driver? I can't find it in ports, and I think the version I'm using is the latest -release one. Do I need to re-install the whole operating system to use -current?
Attached Files
File Type: txt modded.txt (14.5 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by whomever; 23rd August 2010 at 10:04 PM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomever View Post
Do I need to re-install the whole operating system to use -current?
The table displayed in Section 5.3.2 of the FAQ will answer your question.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2010
Spam Deminer

I can't really comment on OpenBSD specific stuff like updating the OS. I know that OpenBSD even uses a modified version of Xorg. If this were FreeBSD or Linux, I'd simply say to pull the latest driver from git and compile it, but I'm not sure how well that would work on OpenBSD.

Adam
Old 23rd August 2010
New User

Thanks for the help. Hopefully once I've updated the driver to -current everything will work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
The table displayed in link of the FAQ will answer your question.
I've just tried this and now xdm segfaults on startup. I was under the impression that segfaults indicated buffer overflows and thus were extremely unlikely in an OS as secure as openBSD, but I probably just misread something. It shouldn't be too hard to fix, anyway.
Old 23rd August 2010
Administrator

Quote:
I was under the impression that segfaults indicated buffer overflows and thus were extremely unlikely in an OS as secure as openBSD...
No, segmentation faults are the result of the process/thread attempting to access an address which isn't in its address space.

I have seen a few comments on the misc@ indicating that others have had oddities occur with amd64 snapshots from today. You may want to watch the ftp site(s) for a newer snapshot.
Old 23rd August 2010
Banned

OpenBSD has stack protection which can prevent overflows, it provides safer string API's, and runtime overflow detection.

It doesn't eliminate programming errors, or save you after they've been made.. a bad process is going to be terminated.
Old 23rd August 2010
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
segmentation faults are the result of the process/thread attempting to access an address which isn't in its address space.
Which can happen with a buffer overflow attempt that goes bad. I can see how the OP would make that connection, but it's certainly true that not all segfaults are caused by buffer overflows.
Old 24th August 2010
New User

When I attempt to update to -current using the /snapshots/amd64 directory on the ftp server the installer only gives me the option of using bsd, bsd.rd, and bsd.mp even though all the relevant files are present on the server. I've tried using a different server and found the same issue, so I guess burning the files to a CD won't help either. Given the lack of documentation about this, I must have missed something pretty damn obvious. Any clues?
Old 25th August 2010
Administrator

Quote:
When I attempt to update to -current using the /snapshots/amd64 directory on the ftp server the installer only gives me the option of using bsd, bsd.rd, and bsd.mp even though all the relevant files are present on the server.
In the absence of those running on the amd64 platform stepping up, I'll add what I can given that I don't run OpenBSD/amd64.
Quote:
Given the lack of documentation about this...
Section 4 of the FAQ extensively covers installation issues which hold for all platforms. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there were reports over the previous few days which indicated problems with installing on amd64, however, as I recall nothing definitive was described. I have no idea of what you mention above, but I will again recommend that you wait a few days & try again. You can also follow the misc@ mailing list yourself to see if anything else is reported. Information on subscribing can be found at the following:

http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html

The bottom of this page also mentions a number of archive sites in case you don't want to subscribe.
Old 27th August 2010
New User

The strange thing is that the dual monitors worked fine in fedora 13, even though f13 doesn't have drivers for my graphics card.

Anyway I think I'll practise with a shell account on an openBSD server for a few months before I attempt installing it again. Thanks for the help.
Old 27th August 2010
Spam Deminer

Fedora 13 has drivers for every radeon currently on the market. They only support 2D modesetting on your GPU, but it's the exact same driver (radeon) that I mentioned above.

Adam