DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2008
New User

Default mount ufs from linux

Hello! I'm in the process of installing FreeBSD. Last time I used it was when 6.0 was released and I wasn't very proficient

Mount:
Can I mount ufs from linux? How?
Vice versa: How do I mount reiserfs and ext3 from FreeBSD?

Boot managers:
I followed the advice how to boot FreeBSD with grub:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...b.html#FreeBSD
It didn't work. How do I do that?

Can I boot linuxen from the FreeBSD boot manager?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2008
Arp Constable

You can mount ext3 as an 'ext2fs' but you may have to fsck_e2tfs it first. Resier you can mount read only as an 'reasierfs'. You might want to check out the e2fsprogs and progsreiserfs ports in sysutils. I think FreeBSD has experimental support for writing to reiserfs v3, but I'd avoid it unless you're ready for data loss (but hey, I'm paranoid).

I think modern Linux 2.6 should have READ ONLY support for UFS in it, but I dunno if it is enabled by default with any distros. Judging by a short google, I believe the command is:

mount -r -t ufs -o ufstype=ufs2 <device> <mount_dir>

but don't quote me.

No one can really help you with the boot loader issue unless you post details about your partitioning schema and BL setup. Some time ago I wrote a thing on booting BSD from various boot loaders, with having Windows & Linux on the same disk being considered. Which also carefully notes something you will find in the FreeBSD FAQ.

You can boot Linux from from boot0, but you must have a boot loader like GRUB/LILO in the Linux / partitions boot sector in order for it to work. Other wise it has no way to find the Linux kernel, in the default config.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

The UFS on Linux may not be the FFS/UFS2 filesystem used by FreeBSD.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2008
Spam Deminer

The ufs kernel module in linux supports many different ufs types :-) 44bsd, ufs2, sun, sunx86, hp, nextstep, nextstep-cd, openstep.

read-write is supported on 44bsd, ufs2, sun, and sunx86, if the module is compiled with rw support. Still not sure I would trust it read-write, though :-)

I am able to mount my freebsd slices under Slackware with:

mount -t ufs -o ro,ufstype=ufs2 /dev/sda1 /mnt
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th November 2008
New User

Thank you!
Sorry for the slow reply. I can mount the FreeBSD partitions read-only from Archlinux and Debian both. I haven't bothered compiling to get write access just yet. I have repartitioned BSD and made a FAT32 partition for moving/storing files. I will reinstall. I haven't configured much anyway.

Since there's a floppy on this machine, maybe I can have BSD boot from there. I'll search for how that is done.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonmat View Post
Since there's a floppy on this machine, maybe I can have BSD boot from there. I'll search for how that is done.
Why just not to use FreeBSD livefs cd? It will sure be faster
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th November 2008
New User

It will be easier and faster when it's done. I use the cd drive for other things, I really don't use the floppy drive. I can just let the floppy stay loosely in the drive slot and punch it in when I need to. No need to take time to find the livefs cd among other cd:s and put it in the tray. Maybe I'll try both methods.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd December 2008
New User

rw support from linux and to some linux fs types would be a feature request from a spoiled brat like me.

The FreeBSD livefs cd has been no use to me yet. I might be very wrong, but it seems to be a slimmed down install cd1 and seems to provide nothing that cant be found on the install cd. I just end up in sysinstall and cannot get out or boot the installed system. I went ahead and tried to make a floppy with boot1 and boot2 on it. I could not find exact info on how to accomplish it. Since FreeSBIE didn't provide a Swedish keymap, I had no "=" and could not use dd. I did it in linux, mounted the slash partition and
Code:
dd if=/boot/boot1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
dd if=/boot/boot2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
Anyway: booting from the floppy seems to have written to the mbr and now I have made my Archlinux partition unbootable, unmountable and maybe unrecoverable. No biggie, This machine is for learning. So: Don't try this at home

(I really think and type to slow for the logout timeout.)

Last edited by kanonmat; 2nd December 2008 at 05:03 AM. Reason: grammar
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd December 2008
Shell Scout

If you need to dual boot Linux and FreeBSD - check this out. You need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and you are ready to go

Useful links: FreeBSD Handbook | FreeBSD Developer's Handbook | The Porter's Handbook | PF User's Guide | unix-heaven.org

Tags
grub, linux, mount