DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st September 2008
New User

Default NFS mount /usr/home?

I'd like to put home directories on a file server and share them on the internal network. That's fine and dandy and I have enough knowledge to do it, but I'm wondering conceptually how all the different config files play nice? It seems as though some of the configurations in ~ would need to be different for different PCs, or am I incorrect?

Additionally, in this setup, all machines would have to use the same UIDs/GIDs to avoid permissions issues, right?

Thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st September 2008
Arp Constable

This depends on what you're doing. There are ways aaround the UID/GID but it's more convenient in my opinion if at least the users UID is the same across machines. I only know the obvious problems

The only problem I've ever had with dot files in ~/ is screen (which refuses to read it). Some programs need file locking (e.g. mutt), so you will want to think about that too. For actually sharing the stuff between PC's, it boils down to individual app/config issues.

example 1: paths on machine 1 may be different then machine 2, but still stored in the configuration file.

example 2: different versions of the same program might not be totally compatible with config data updated from old versions; although it's not a great example. Converting MSVC6 project files to a recent version of Visual Studio and then trying to feed it into the old system again. *Should* make it obvious what I'm trying to get at.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.