DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th January 2009
Shell Scout

Default Is partitioning still important in installation?

This is somewhat of a general question though for me it relates most directly to my FreeBSD webserver at home.

Do people still partition their hard drives when setting up FreeBSD? When I used to manage several FreeBSD systems it was standard operating procedure to partition the drive upon installation; most of the space going to /usr, about 20% to /, and maybe 10% to /var.

Do people still do this? I have noticed that Linux installs have gone to single partitions, but what about our BSD installs? Are partitions still important, or do people just give their entire hard drives to the OS in a single slice now?