DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th March 2016
New User

Default Partitioning schemes

What is the situation with partitioning in OpenBSD now? At least formerly, I think, OpenBSD required non-OpenBSD MBR partitions to be described in the OpenBSD MBR partition's disklabel, which I think is complete madness and an example of bad design. In my opinion, sub-partitioning schemes should not refer to data outside of the subdivided MBR partition, and they should not use absolute disk addresses. They should use offsets relative to the subdivided partition's address.

https://web.archive.org/web/20151121...foreignfsafter

And what is the situation with OpenBSD's GPT support? Does OpenBSD still require disklabels or can it use GPT partitions directly? Can OpenBSD 5.9 use MBR partitions without having them described in a disklabel?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th March 2016
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek View Post
...OpenBSD required non-OpenBSD MBR partitions to be described in the OpenBSD MBR partition's disklabel...
There has been no change to the process. A recognized foreign filesystem that is described in an MBR or GPT partition table will be assigned a virtual disklabel partition letter, beginning with "i", if there is no OpenBSD disklabel already on the drive. Once an OpenBSD disklabel is written to a drive, foreign filesystems in an MBR or GPT partition table are ignored.
Quote:
...which I think is complete madness and an example of bad design... In my opinion, sub-partitioning schemes should not refer to data outside of the subdivided MBR partition, and they should not use absolute disk addresses. They should use offsets relative to the subdivided partition's address.
Alternative solutions will be given review and consideration by the Project if they arrive as proposed source code changes to the tech@ mailing list. Culturally, the developers will ignore suggestions -- no matter how valid -- if they arrive as prose to that list or other mailing lists, which is the way to reach Project members. Active members here at this forum are just users, we don't drive this particular bus..

The reason for this attitude? OpenBSD considers itself a research project, with developments driven by the wants and needs of its developers/researchers, not by the desires of any users of the software who come along for the ride.
Quote:
And what is the situation with OpenBSD's GPT support? Does OpenBSD still require disklabels or can it use GPT partitions directly?
OpenBSD 5.9, just released, supports UEFI boot and/or GPT partitions. But the use of foreign file systems is as described above.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th March 2016
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
OpenBSD 5.9, just released, supports UEFI boot and/or GPT partitions. But the use of foreign file systems is as described above.
Can OpenBSD 5.9 be installed onto a GPT disk without a disklabel at all, as there are more possible codes for partition types? I think FreeBSD doesn't need disklabels on GPT disks when using UFS.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th March 2016
More noise than signal

It's a good question, but no. Disklabels are the OpenBSD partitioning schema - real or virtual.

MBRs and GPTs are used on a minority of of the architectures where OpenBSD is supported.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th March 2016
New User

I mean, will it work if no actual disklabel exists on the disk? Just GPT partitions with the FFS file system.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th March 2016
More noise than signal

I don't think so, because an MBR/GPT OpenBSD partition is not a filesystem. It's a collection of one or more filesystems, managed via a disklabel. On the six or so MBR (or GPT) architectures, there are two distinct layers of partitioning. On the 11 or so non-MBR architectures, there is only a single layer of partitioning.

Virtual disklabels are allocated only to recognized foreign filesystems (FAT, ext, NTFS, CD9660, ...).
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th March 2016
ISO Quartermaster

I am curious where disklabel information is stored on hard driver.
Example: MBR is 512 bytes long and starts at the (CHS – 0, 0, 1).
Where is disklabel's information stored? If I wipe/override FFS filesystem does these information will persist, because it is stored outside FFS filesystem?
I am particularly interested in amd64 architecture.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th March 2016
More noise than signal

It varies by architecture, so I'm glad you specified.

On amd64, it uses the second sector of the OpenBSD MBR/GPT partition (partition type A6), or the second sector of the drive if no MBR or GPT is defined.

For clarity, if the partition starts at LBA 64, the disklabel is stored in LBA 65, and if there is no MBR or GPT defined in LBA 0, the disklabel is stored in LBA 1.