DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 25th March 2009
Port Guard

Heck, I don't have a sound card at all right now. I am using the crappy on board (intel) sound. You guys are going to be the ruin of my marriage
Old 25th March 2009
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by running_fist View Post
Heck, I don't have a sound card at all right now. I am using the crappy on board (intel) sound. You guys are going to be the ruin of my marriage
Always a pleasure to be of service!

Seriously, your on-board sound might be OK for your purposes, but I'll defer to Rod on that topic. I just don't have enough experience. Seriously, though, the sound cards he mentions are not that expensive, and undoubtedly you can find one on eBay.

Which Intel on-board do you have?
Old 25th March 2009
Port Guard

I am using an IBM Intellistation A Pro workstaion, (picked up off ebay) which is great for building from ports and the sound is not terrible, only poor with decent speakers. I will have to look around to see which chipset they use. I am off to work so it will have to be later.

jlt
Old 25th March 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by running_fist View Post
I am using an IBM Intellistation A Pro workstaion, (picked up off ebay) which is great for building from ports and the sound is not terrible, only poor with decent speakers. I will have to look around to see which chipset they use. I am off to work so it will have to be later.
jlt
One of my workstations at work is an IntelliStation Z Pro, I'm picky so this my not affect you, but I think the on board sound add lots of noise - of course in running XP Enterprise
ISO Quartermaster

Hmmm. The A Pro is a dual Opteron system. That can't have an Intel chipset. I have an old Z Pro; that uses the ICH4 south bridge. There is also the M Pro.

Do you have the model right?
Old 26th March 2009
Port Guard

It's an A with dual opterons. You may be right about the board, being IBM I assumed intel (the opteron intel combo seemed odd, but hey). I will have to take her apart and have a look. I know the sata controller was SI(3214 I think), which caused a lot of grief. I ended up getting a 3ware card although the onboard scsi(Adaptec) works well.
When I say poor sound it is typical "onboard computer sound" gets the job done but certainly uninspiring.

checking the driver
It uses the snd_ich driver , from the man page
SND_ICH(4) FreeBSD Kernel Interfaces Manual SND_ICH(4)

NAME
snd_ich -- Intel ICH PCI and compatible bridge device driver
jlt

Last edited by running_fist; 26th March 2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 26th March 2009
ISO Quartermaster

Look up the user or service manual -- they always have specifications. IBM still has those on line. You should also be able to get the info from dmesg.
Old 26th March 2009
ISO Quartermaster

It appears to use the AMD 8000 chipset. I don't know why you find ICH4, but presumably it is compatible with Intel's chipset. That is a standard AC97 audio system. No idea what the quality might be -- you may just have to try it.
Old 27th March 2009
Port Guard

I am an idiot!! I did this

$kldload snd_driver
$cat /dev/sndstat

And got this

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2007061600/i386)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <AMD-8111> at io 0x1000, 0x1400 irq 17 bufsz 16384 kld snd_ich [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/1r:1v channels duplex default)

How I saw the driver and missed the AMD-8111, I cannot say.

I think to get started I am going to scavenge what I can until I figure out what I am doing, I got the turn table as cast off and with the exception of the cartridge I think I can find everything else I need. Once I have played around a bit I will look into better quality h-ware.

Do you use Audacity? Any advice for the conversion process?
Old 27th March 2009
VPN Cryptographer

I use Audacity. What I usually do is record an enitre side of an album or tape and then go back and cut the file up into individual tracks. And export them as wav files.

Once all the files are written to a directory, I run a script to convert them into the desired format.
Too dumb for a smartphone

My 2cents:

I used command-line tools like the SoX package, normalize, dd and cdrdao.

Recording a whole album side can be a good idea. You may want to do it more than once both to optimize your recording volume level and see how much dirt the stylus drags out of the grooves (depends on the record's condition).

I just recorded the stuff as .raw rather than .wav. In the beginning I pulled out individual tracks too, but eventually decided it was slightly counter-productive, because all you need to do is find the track boundaries and put them in the .toc file that cdrdao uses. To make mp3's (or the like) you can key off that as well and use dd to feed it into the encoder.

It's worth using a good sensitive set of headphones to do the boundary work, so you can really hear where the track starts and fades out completely.