DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd May 2019
New User

Default removing immutable bit ??

long story short i ran 'chflags schg /etc/resolv.conf' because everytime I reset my network the file would get overwritten. probably a better way to go about this. anyway i tried to remove the immutable bit from the file with 'chflags noschg /etc/resolv.conf' but wasn't able to do so even as root. might this have to do with the security levels? i did login in single user mode but didn't have access to the chflags command.

how does one go about removing the immutable bit from a file after setting it?

thanks!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd May 2019
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kervalis View Post
...probably a better way to go about this.
Yes, there is. When you use DHCP, the dhclient(8) program recreates this file. You can use a resolv.conf.tail(5) file to append lines to the file whenever it is recreated, or, you can use a dhclient.conf(5) file to supersede nameserver values obtained from the DHCP server during negotiation.
Quote:
...i did login in single user mode but didn't have access to the chflags command.
chflags(1) is in /usr/bin. You'll need to mount(8) your /usr filesystem while in single-user mode. Or drop to single-user mode from multi-user mode, with shutdown(8). It leaves your mounts mounted.

Last edited by jggimi; 2nd May 2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added dropping from multi-user