DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th January 2015
New User

Default Why to build a new userland?

Hello! Since many years I use NetBSD, and always when install some release, after this I update to a STABLE. But there in official NetBSD website "Updating a stable NetBSD release", they show to build a new userland, witch proccess takes about 12 hours and takes more diskspace:

Quote:
# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail %Cap Mounted on
/dev/wd0a 52G 4.2G 45G 8% /
So, my basic question is: did i need to build and install userland when i update from 6.1.5 to 6.1_STABLE with commands in updating process like a:

Quote:
./build.sh -O ../obj -T ../tools -U distribution
./build.sh -O ../obj -T ../tools -U install=/
What is exactly userland and for what is it? I search in Google much, buit can't find nothing. Maybe my search arguments is not right? I can't understand. Can someone try to explain me or just give me a link to read about? I am confused a liltle bit.

Sorry if my question is too lame for here, but I dunno where to ask about it, there's not a lot of NetBSD communities. Thanks.

Last edited by batence; 5th January 2015 at 07:01 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th January 2015
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome. In all Unix-like systems, the "userland" contains all of the programs and libraries -- everything executable that is not a kernel: /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/libexec, /usr/lib.

While I'm not a NetBSD user, I expect the recommendation to build the userland from -stable source code is to apply all of the changes in -stable made to all these executable programs and libraries.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th January 2015
New User

Okay, thanks for advise