DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th June 2020
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'
Default pxeboot/autoinstall and IPv6?

We don't currently have IPv6-support for pxeboot(8) in OpenBSD, do we? I'm curious if an entirely IPv6-based autoinstall would be possible.

Both tftpd(8) and httpd(8) support v6 and a v6-capable dhcpd could be installed from the ports collection: net/dnsmask or net/wide-dhcpv6
The install.sub script on bsd.rd on the other hand seems to rely on dhclient(8), which is v4-only, I think. Something would be needed to provision the location of the response file over IPv6. Has anyone experimented in this direction, perhaps by hacking install.sub or sth. like that?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th June 2020
More noise than signal

To my knowledge, there hasn't been a push for this because a) in practice OpenBSD network boots are conducted on LANs where IPv4 addressing is available, and b) there is no built-in DHCPv6 client in the OS. (SLAAC is included, but is not part of RFC 5970.)

I seem to recall the Project previously rejecting the inclusion of an in-base DHCPv6 client.

Tags
autoinstall, ipv6, pxe boot