DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default More tcp connections

Hey all,

So I have a FreeBSD qmail server with courier IMAP and pop3 also, along with the obligatory Spam assassin. We have about ~110 users. I moved everyone from Outlook/Outlook Express with POP3, to Thunderbird with IMAP. We are getting timeouts occasionally when people are sending mail, and it is just in gerenal slow. It is in a VM with 2 GB of ram and a 2.5ghz processor, so it should be fast enough. I think that the problem lies with too many connections because when it was POP3, everything was fine and happy. How do I allow more (tcp?) connections? I am thinking a sysctl variable, but I don't have access to this server and it will probably be awhile before I do, but I want to be prepped when I go there.

Thanks!
-=Tom

Last edited by tad1214; 1st June 2008 at 03:32 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st June 2008
Local

Not to sidestep your question, but what type of VM does FBSD live in?

The reason I ask is the default network driver for < FBSD 7 is slow. If this applies to you, read here:

http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/vmware.html

If not, ignore this post.

(Note that it helps to give more info, such as FBSD version and VM type.)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st June 2008
Banned

Just letting off some steam, running a production environment inside of a emulation/virtualizer is such a bad idea, performance is never as good as a dedicated beige box.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

The VMWare em vs lnc very well could be it. I will keep that in mind. As for running in a VM, we have a $0 budget :-\ So adding servers isn't an option. We got a fairly mean server on a "buddy" deal from the owner, traded his friend stuff for it, (Dual Quad Cores with 4GB of ram and 8 250GB sata drives) for a fairly low tech place (A greenhouse) so virtualization made the most sense. Everything has run extremely happy, even the mail server until recent, in the VM's. When I show a top, everything looks fairly happy, but we are still getting timeouts. The lnc vs em seems to be likely cause here though. Thanks!
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Info,
FreeBSD 6 -stable
Vmware server 1.05
Running on CentOS 5.1
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Just letting off some steam, running a production environment inside of a emulation/virtualizer is such a bad idea, performance is never as good as a dedicated beige box.
Disagree. Virtualization is here to stay and usually only gives you a less than 5% hit on performance, especially with *BSD. I have several production servers running for over a year now on VMs with no trouble, and quite frankly, I can't tell the difference. Sure, you have to have enough resources to run them, but the OP sounds like he should be fine with what he has. I really don't think it's the VM. Of course, YMMV.

-Tim
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad1214
The lnc vs em seems to be likely cause here though. Thanks!
Good deal. Keep the forums here in mind if you run into other issues. I have a fair amount of experience running FreeBSD 6.3 virtualized under vmware.

And as to whether or not it's a good idea: it was a departmental decision in my case. It has been working out well so far.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Hey, I do have 2 questions. Whenever I would compile the kernel with SMP and give it 2 processors it would hard lock at random. Any experience with this? Also, what kind of an increase is the em vs. lnc, pretty substantial for a network heavy box?
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th June 2008
Local

Quote:
Whenever I would compile the kernel with SMP and give it 2 processors it would hard lock at random. Any experience with this?
Strange. I'm actually just using a single CPU for each of my FBSD vmware instances.

Quote:
Also, what kind of an increase is the em vs. lnc, pretty substantial for a network heavy box?
I'm inclined to speculate "yes" based on Ivan Voras's comments, but it's not something I have data on.