DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th June 2014
New User

Default How to use the external interface and a VPN tunnel for different services/clients?

Can you help me out here, please? I do not need a step-by-step guide, just a friendly kick in the right direction.

I have an OpenBSD gateway/router/networking server with two network interfaces in use: one for the external network (WAN) and one for my internal network (LAN).

On the internal side I have a bunch of clients including an OpenBSD server that serves both the outside world (currently http and ssh) and the inside (currently NFS).

I have used an OpenVPN client to create a VPN tunnel on the gateway, and that works fine, but I do not want all traffic to go through the tunnel. I want to exclude, for example, the web and shell services.

How should I think? Can I do this with only pf or do I need to make changes to the routing table?

If I create the tunnel, without any changes to my pf rule set, the web server stops to be accessible from the outside and the clients cannot access the outside; because the default route is changed, I guess.

If I change $wan_if from em0 to tun0 the clients can access the outside, but of course I cannot access the web server on the IP address that is assigned to em0 (I have not tried to access it through the IP address at tun0).

Is it just a matter of having dual NAT:ing for the two interfaces or will the replies take the default route no matter what? I did a test shot with an additional nat-to rule yesterday, but it did not work and then it was time for bed.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2014
New User

I have made some tests using reply-to, but without success.

I guess that I need to alter the routing table, but as I lack knowledge in that area I have ordered some books to solve that.

I have dynamic IP addresses on both the em0 and tun0 interface; will that be a problem?

Edit: I will search the OpenVPN community for a solution to this as well.

Last edited by alikzus; 26th June 2014 at 10:35 AM.