DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

Old 1st September 2015
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by frcc View Post
..it takes us thousands of keystrokes to set-up a productions server, so, we are naturally
not super keen to upgrade it every six months or following anything but stable when there
is a compelling need....
It is your organization's choice to run unsupported releases. You and they must do what you need to do to meet requirements, but this is not best practice.

Take note that if you and your organization are able to upgrade from one release to the next, twice per year, your effort should not be in the "thousands of keystrokes." Even the Year 2038 readiness ABI shift to upgrade from 5.4 to 5.5 did not require that degree of effort.

The upgrade process is normally fairly straightforward, and much easier than provisioning a new system.
  1. The upgrade script in the bsd.rd kernel copies the kernels to the root directory and unpacks filesets onto the pre-existing system. Nothing is deleted, and all libraries in use by installed packages remain unchanged.
  2. The admin reboots, and runs sysmerge(8) to semi-automatically merge revisions to /etc files.
  3. The admin makes any manual changes not covered by sysmerge(8), following the guidance in the Upgrade FAQ. This is usually deleting files which are no longer needed.
  4. The admin updates their pkg.conf(5) file or $PKG_PATH environment variable* and updates third party packages with

# pkg_add -u
* If pkg.conf(5) is used instead of $PKG_PATH, and a network upgrade is used instead of upgrading from local media, modern releases of OpenBSD will automatically update the installpath variable in this configuration file for the new release. (At 5.8, variables will be used for release information.)

Last edited by jggimi; 1st September 2015 at 02:32 AM. Reason: typo, clarity
Old 1st September 2015
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas

Pardon me Jiggimi but its not an organizational choice if the OpenBSD release does not allow installation because of a Kernal Panic. Therefore, we are not able to upgrade twice per year. We have to run what works, when it does.

You can count your keystrokes for performing any administrative effort you choose at your organization, but when i consider what i do to maintain this equipment i know how much effort it takes
here. I haven't the time to compare with others.

After reading how many issues arise during upgrade for many here and what it takes to fix those, we choose to wait for stable releases then we perform clean installs only. When we can't do that, through no fault of our own we are back

to the original situation

run a system that does work and might be hacked
---- or ------
run no system at all

The point here is, we are in this situation because of a Kernal Panic on a fresh install
not an upgrade from a previous install. We are now in a test situation that will take
many hours of research and hundreds of keystrokes testing package changes for a snapshot
version. (to see if we can transition from Apache to httpd and open smtpd).

Old 1st September 2015
More noise than signal

I was addressing your general operational practice, and not this particular problem. My apologies for the confusion this may have caused.
Old 2nd September 2015
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas

none none taken, i figure its better to tell it like it is instead of stuffing.

advice and info as usual well taken especially here.

If this particular panic not fixed in 5.8 or 5.9 (and continues to be a problem) I will just have to get better at working with the OS so that i can figure the troubleshooting.

Very good advice on bsd.rd an interesting feature !

thanks again folks