DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

Old 13th January 2015
Port Guard

If you're interesting in OpenIndiana, then I would follow the oi-dev mailing list. There was a recent post about the status of the project. http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-...er/003496.html

But I don't think Oracle Solaris is worth spending a lot of time learning unless you have to maintain a legacy system. The licenses for Solaris (along with every other Oracle product) are outrageous to begin with, so the only people buying them are going to have a large amount of Oracle software in place already.
Old 15th January 2015
Spam Deminer

Quote:
The licenses for Solaris (along with every other Oracle product) are outrageous to begin with
Not sure where these comments come from other than a dislike of Oracle. RedHat says RHEL costs less than Solaris while Oracle says Solaris costs less than RHEL.

Technical support for Solaris is much better than the weak support from RedHat. Then look at the features which are available in each, and Solaris has features that have been there for a decade that RHEL doesn't have or may be trying to attain. Also look at the reliability and stability of Solaris and RHEL and Solaris is far ahead of RHEL, especially if one looks at SPARC vs x86.
Old 16th January 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpatrick View Post
Technical support for Solaris is much better than the weak support from RedHat.
Out of curiosity are you referring to actual current Oracle support or you are refering to your past experience with SunMicrosystems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpatrick View Post
Then look at the features which are available in each, and Solaris has features that have been there for a decade that RHEL doesn't have or may be trying to attain. Also look at the reliability and stability of Solaris and RHEL and Solaris is far ahead of RHEL, especially if one looks at SPARC vs x86.
Could you please point me to a web site where I can buy new SPARC hardware? I am in particularly keen on replacing my old Tadpole SPARC laptop with new shiny SPARC based laptop. I gave my old Tadpole to our cousins in Minnesota to use until their heater gets fixed.
Old 17th January 2015
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Could you please point me to a web site where I can buy new SPARC hardware?
Oracle and Fujitsu, but they do not make laptops like Sparcbook anymore.

Last edited by vermaden; 18th January 2015 at 01:45 PM.