DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

Old 21st July 2023
More noise than signal

I have just tested the wsfb(4) driver on this laptop. In order to use it, I had to both provision an xorg.conf fragment, but I also had to disable the inteldrm(4) driver, as DRM/DRI will take precedence over efifb(4) if available.

I have one key comment about it: It will automatically configure and use the native display resolution. VESA is limited to very specific (small) resolutions.
Old 22nd July 2023
Shell Scout

Hi jggimi,

I really appreciate your help; however, it might not be needed.

I tried to install an earlier version, the only one I could find was 7.2, with the same results as 7.3. Then, in desperation or illumination(?), I downloaded the cd73.iso and lo and behold, the installation started.

I am now working through the installer, referring to the FAQ, and searching, because not being very smart, I have some difficulties. By means of example(s), the installer asks:

supposed to know what is the best option for the hardware?

- xenodm. Does one want it, or use startx? With startx one always starts in console, so a command line is available. What if one selects the former and something goes wrong? There does not seem and option to escape to console, is there?

- partitioning. I had been reading about this and the "extremely helpful" answer is - It depends on and application. Yes, of course, but what is one to do, just knowing that this is a generic laptop with 120 GB drive? Some people suggest that the automated partitioning is "setting too much space for home and to little for var", others have other recommendations. Again, how is a beginner to know?

- encryption. Yes, it would be useful in case that the laptop is stolen, but there does not appear to be an option to do it form the installer. However, I found a chapter in FAQ, but given the installer inquiry, I thought that it would walk me through it.

Please do understand that I am not complaining, I figured it before, I will figure it again.

Kindest regards,

M
Old 22nd July 2023
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefisto View Post
There does not seem and option to escape to console, is there?
Yes: Ctrl-Alt-F1 will take you to the console, Ctrl-Alt-F2,F3,F4 will give you 3 additional TTYs, and Ctrl-Alt-F5 will return you to the X display.
Quote:
- partitioning. I had been reading about this and the "extremely helpful" answer is - It depends on and application. Yes, of course, but what is one to do, just knowing that this is a generic laptop with 120 GB drive? Some people suggest that the automated partitioning is "setting too much space for home and to little for var", others have other recommendations. Again, how is a beginner to know?
You cannot possibly know, until you figure out your blend of applications and their storage requirements. The general recommendation is to start with the automatic defaults until you learn what your consumption requirements have become.
Quote:
- encryption. Yes, it would be useful in case that the laptop is stolen, but there does not appear to be an option to do it form the installer.
There is guided full-disk-encryption from the installation script beginning with 7.3-release. The admin is prompted. For example:
Code:
Available disks are: sd0.
Encrypt the root disk? (disk, 'no' or '?' for details) [no]
Old 22nd July 2023
Shell Scout

Hi jggimi,

again, thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
There is guided full-disk-encryption from the installation script beginning with 7.3-release. The admin is prompted. For example:
Code:
Indeed it is. that was, what I referred to. However, when I selected the "ddisk" option. it offered me the installation disk, but then repeated the:

Code:
I will try again tomorrow.

Kindest regards,

M
Old 22nd July 2023
More noise than signal

Answer with the disk device name, such as "sd0".

Systems may have multiple disk drives.
Old 22nd July 2023
Open Source Software user

As a first time installation, I suggest just going with the recommended partitioning, once you have a grip on how to install, then you can go back & re install it differently - I use a single partition on my very small (16GB) drives in my thin clients, & mainly use external USB storage for my data - anything is possible, but you need to get the first installation under your belt.

EDIT: I suggest using xenocara, you can easily get to a terminal command line by using control/alt/function key combination, just like on Linux.