DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th October 2013
Fdisk Soldier

Default OpenBSD 5.3 installation on SuperMicro system board

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in running OpenBSD on a SuperMicro system board.

My board is:

http://www.supermicro.nl/products/mo...C600/X9SRi.cfm

and have set it up to do RAID1.

My issue is that the RAID volume doesn't detect.....

I'm actually trying to do the install from the "live-usb" version of OpenBSD so I don't know if that's got something to do with it or if simply OpenBSD doesn't have the correct driver for the RAID controller?? {haven't checked the HCL yet}

I actually haven't tested using AHCI though that will be my next step.

The BIOS definitely detects the drives which are Corsair 120GB SSD's hooked onto the SATA III connectors.

Also I'm not sure if the USB installer is using a 32bit or 64bit kernel as there is no definitive reference anywhere, however, it seems to hint at 32bit by stating i386 so I don't know if that's the issue...?

Maybe by using Live-usb I've made my life more complicated then it has to be however, since I couldn't find a USB installer image of OpenBSD 5.3 x64 I thought this was my best bet - I'm not a fan of CD installs though might have to go that way if necessary.

Would anyone be able to give me any advice?

Thanks.

[EDIT]

can confirm AHCI mode working..... am wondering if then the RAID isn't supported? :-( would need to setup SoftRAID instead at that stage.

[EDIT]

just did a demo install using one disk and AHCI mode.... after boot into OpenBSD the system just shuts off?? Maybe it's using 32bit after all and is incompatible with the systemboard....

Last edited by sparky; 17th October 2013 at 08:29 PM.