DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc)

NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc) Installation and upgrading of packages on NetBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2015
Shell Scout

Default modular-xorg-server cannot run

Hi everyone,

After installing modular-xorg-server from source, I got this error when running startx:

Code:
(EE) No devices detected.
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)
Please help.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2015
Arp Constable

There is not enough information for anyone to help you.

Edit: You have several posts in the NetBSD section with one about a week ago where you did manage to startx after making a home directory. Did you install modular xorg over the monolithic xorg? Are you using an Nvidia card?

Did you follow this dated wiki?
Did you attempt to set up /etc/X11/xorg.conf as described here?

What version of NetBSD did you install? Are you using a supported video card (Radeon/Intel), if the card needs firmware, is it installed and is your dmesg free of errors? Was a /var/log/Xorg.0.log generated and what errors does it show?

In my opinion, the NetBSD project is a poor choice for someone to get introduced to the BSD's. If you are using a Nvidia video card, your easiest path would be to use FreeBSD following this post in the FreeBSD forums.

Last edited by shep; 12th July 2015 at 11:10 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2015
Shell Scout

Hi shep,

I installed NetBSD 7.0 RC1 and followed the wiki to install modular-xorg-server and set up /etc/X11/xorg.conf by running "X -configure". The video card Nvidia Quadro FX 880M is supported by xf86-video-nv, but I do not know if it needs a firmware. The error I posted earlier was delivered from /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

I guess I should use FreeBSD for now.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by notooth; 12th July 2015 at 11:27 PM.