DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th October 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Default Question about removing ports/packages

Hello. I'm having a small problem. A few days ago, I installed opera browser from the ports. Nice and easy, all dependencies installed and df(1) showed that the occupied space went from 42% to 49%. I didn't care much, since I don't have many programs installed.

Today I decided to remove the browser with a simple pkg_delete. Although I read in the man pages that pkg_delete
Quote:
examines installed package records for the pkgname specified,
checks inter-dependencies between installed packages, deletes the package
contents in an order respecting dependencies (e.g., packages with
dependencies get removed first), and finally removes the package records.
I think I miss something () and it doesn't remove all dependencies (even if I don't need them). I removed also fedora_base manually and df still shows 49% occupied...

Is there any way to first view all Opera dependencies and after reinstalling do a massive uninstall with the dependencies?

edit: forgot to mention my big question about removing ports in general. Is there any way to see a dependency tree or something like that about every port and choose what to uninstall and what not?

(at least I have the wireless working perfectly )

Last edited by Daffy; 16th October 2010 at 08:52 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th October 2010
Banned

Yes, deleting a package will not remove its dependencies.. perhaps you may want to install something in the future that needs them, this can save you bandwidth, disk space is cheaper than bandwidth.

You can use pkg_info -t to see a list of installed packages that do not depend on other packages, which might make it easier to clean up the stuff you don't want.

Opera is closed source, the port probably grabs the Linux binary, if it's compiled statically.. there wouldn't be any dependencies, otherwise the only thing it would depend on would be the fedora_base package.

Learn to be friends with pkg_info(1) and pkg_delete(1), they can help paint a nice picture of inter-package dependencies.. pkg_info -R gtk+2 for example would show which packages depend on GTK+2.

It's not a rule here I believe, but the colour red sure looks annoying on this background.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th October 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Thanks. I do though have another question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Opera is closed source, the port probably grabs the Linux binary, if it's compiled statically.. there wouldn't be any dependencies, otherwise the only thing it would depend on would be the fedora_base package.
Although I can find the fedora_base and the rest of the packages (thanks for the -t trigger), even when they are removed with pkg_delete(1), disk space is still the same. Am I missing something again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
It's not a rule here I believe, but the colour red sure looks annoying on this background.
Fixed.

Tags
opera