DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th August 2009
Arp Constable

Default portable bookkeeping software

In plotting future endeavours, there might eventually be need for more stingent bookkeeping then the proverbial mayonnaise jar in the backyard. As always, I am the kind of guy whose planned points A, B, C, and fall-back points along the way before setting foot on dangerous ground. I suspect a lot of people here have either been involved with such software or have had to deal with such matters, so might not be a bad idea to ask here before I plan to shoot off a foot lol. My family has generally operated on the concept that an entire-forests worth of scratch paper is an inexpensive way of balancing life's banking needs... I am, should we say not a paper person. Since hand hacking GNU bc scripts is probably not a good idea in the long run: I'm looking for software that scales well to various tasks, without requiring a doctorate in accountancy to make it work. Something that can be both for personal finances, and perhaps someday at the level of managing finances for a family and small-business. (Same software, different deployments.) I'm a programmer at heart, not a bookkeeper.

Technical criteria would be one of these groupings:

General portability: ease of use running under the Windows NT and unix families, configuration that can be transfered between systems, and likewise for the data files.

Works well with OpenBSD and feasible for use via X11 over SSH.

Web-based, can be ran off OpenBSD Apache 1.3 using Perl/PHP.

--

So far, the only software that I've found that smells useful is GnuCash and KMyMoney, but its not really a class of software I'm familiar with. Has anyone here tried them at home or perhaps somewhere more complicated?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Accountancy software is a land of really bad software with really big egos. Personally, I am working with gnucash, and not really enjoying the experience. It all feels kludgy, and is a pile of papercuts. That said, better than MYOB or Quickbooks, because you are not running into their DRM constantly. (A cracked copy of MYOB or QB might be usable, but the genuine ones - you stumble over the DRM constantly.)