DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Default It's just a habit...

I recall a thread like this in The Other Place, so I thought that I'd put one here too.

What are the typing habits that you have, that lead you to do strange things in different environments?

Apart from ending notepad documents with :wq, my main one at the moment seems to be expecting command-line completion at this forum - Whenever I type paths or commands, I'll type /usr/loc[tab]/ .. and get a little lost! (Should I make that a suggestion?? It'd be neat, and a Simple Matter of Programming....)

Any other faux presses that you produce on a regular basis?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

When I use Windows I always try to switch workspaces with my hotkeys, and try to move/resize windows with my hotkeys...
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbak View Post
Apart from ending notepad documents with :wq, my main one at the moment seems to be expecting command-line completion at this forum - Whenever I type paths or commands, I'll type /usr/loc[tab]/ .. and get a little lost!
What about using external editor with textual browsers like elinks and lynx.

When I need to post something I usually do that inside gvim.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Port Guard

I use Ctrl+w in windows to remove the last word I've (mis)type
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Being an Opera users for many years now, when ever I have to use IE or Firefox I always tried to navigate using mouse jestures and always get pissed because it doesn't work! That's the biggest one.

Two would be right clicking on the Window's desktop thinking the menu will appear as in Openbox.

Three typing ls in command window on Windows when trying to get a file listing.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
UNIX lover

Copying things from the console or the browser like in X, just mark it and use the mouse button to copy it - it's just a pain to fail again and again if I have to use Windows
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Arp Constable

When I work at a keyboard my left hand usually rests with it's fingers around the WASD and left shift buttions -> movement and run keys in most FPS. My right hand typically rests on the jkio; and space bar keys thanks to Vi and the angle of my keyboard.

If my keyboard or chair are out of their usual alignment, I'll often mistype things. I don't have any concept of a home 'row' so much as key-clusters but, I don't need to look at the keyboard for more then realignment when I type, and I type as fast as I can think... Some times faster.

For a long time I would often hit Fn+key by mistake when meaning to hit Control+key on my laptop because the Fn key is to it's right.

I often *try* to use the h, j, k, l, w, b, $, and ^ keys for movement or emacs style C-f, C-b, C-n, C-p, C-a, C-e, keys in programs much to my *annoyance* with programs that don't understand.

I often try to use the dd, dw, db, x, and similar key mappings when deleting text along with C-d and C-h, sometimes C-k (from kate). Even though the program I'm using has a very limited (i.e. notepad like) deletion system.

Between alt+tab and AFK'age, I some times forget what mode I was in (even with showmode set) and end up with a ;w in my file :-(

note: i usually map ; : in ~/.exrc

I wonder why I enter a text field (web browsers and IM clients mostly) and <esc> p does not work when I want to paste soemthing.

I wonder why my highlighted text was never copied to the clipboard, and then remember I'm using explorer.exe X

When I use cmd.exe I often try to use C-a, C-e, C-f, C-b, C-n, C-p, C-w, C-u, and C-d keys when editing command lines rather then arrow keys, delete, and home/end keys.

When using cmd.exe I often hit tab and expect things to autocomplete to something resembling the filename I typed, not walk though it's look up table.

I often argue with 'copy' on DOS/Windows about what is logical behavior thanks to UNIX 'cp'

When using 'cp' as another user (especially root) or without my usual aliases, I often forget it doesn't copy directories by default. Because I always have -R in the switches to my cp alias.

When using various programs that run both on multiple systems, I some times get annoyed when one supports line buffer editing and the other doesn't or is limited to a few commands.

example: GNU 'bc' and OpenBSDs 'bc' when it comes to line editing

When using programs that use different line editing pr completion features then the normal system shell in use, I some times get lost going back (especially using python and irb on winsucks).

example: OpenBSDs (pd)ksh and SFU's (pd)ksh when it comes to tab completion.

When working on most Wintels computers I often forget not everyone makes there systems use Focus Follows Mouse and have to click :-(

note: My desktop uses FFM for most window managers under *nix and the Windows XP install there is _forced_ to obey my taste in this matter. My laptop OTOH uses click to raise because of the touch-pad.

When using vim over ssh, I sometimes forget it's not hooked up to my systems clipboard when I do y/p operations.

I often get error messages when using the 'cls' and 'clear' commands depending on the system and rc file I'm using because 'cls' is my most used command on Windows NT and aliased to 'clear' in my ~/.zshrc. I don't use C-l because it doesn't work when I ssh into my OpenBSD machine via ssh or PuTTY.

Sometimes my thumb flips over the touch pad of my laptop and I end up with the second half of the last sentence in the middle of the last paragraph in vim.

I often forget an ending ' when using sed on the command line

it's a fairly normal thing for me to do a <esc> :w C-z <build or execute progra> fg g<line#> A <add missing the ;> and then re-build/launch the program.

And yes.... I spend a lot of time editing textual data and almost always have a terminal emulator open ;-)

And sadly I'm in a situation where I need to be some what 'bi-lingual' between Unix and NT.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.

Last edited by TerryP; 28th May 2008 at 05:22 PM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Custom Title Maker

Opening a xterm^H^H^H^H^Hcmd window and typing ls -la | grep {whatever}, or ps -aux, etc.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
When I use Windows I always try to switch workspaces with my hotkeys, and try to move/resize windows with my hotkeys...
Caught myself in the car searching my mouse to change gears.
More noise than signal

My biggest trouble is using vi(1) keys with other editors.

lvlamb: I *have* a dashboard mouse in my car. One dimensional. But it is a mouse. Think of it as something like a clickable mouse wheel.
Old 10th June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
Being an Opera users for many years now, when ever I have to use IE or Firefox I always tried to navigate using mouse jestures and always get pissed because it doesn't work! That's the biggest one.
YES!!!!! I thought I was the only one!
I also hit crtl+a to get to the beginning of lines often. Usually I get going so fast that I don't realize I did it and I selected everything and blew it away with my next few letters.
Old 11th June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

at my last exam at university i was thinking at some point to hit the tab on my white piece of paper to complete a formula, but couldn't find it. that was very hilarious and made me think of a way to implement zsh on white pieces of paper (joking). this one was the biggest of all.

like the OP i do expect this forum to auto complete using tab and i get stuck on "No icon" after hitting tab once and do want to save notepad/word documents using "ZZ" or :w!.

/v
Old 12th June 2008
Coffee Addict

I often type 'cd' when trying to get to a different directory in Konqueror.
Old 12th June 2008
Custom Title Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
There is a Firefox mouse gestures plugin.
VPN Cryptographer

I know its Sacrilege but....I hate firefox.
New User

I am a System administrator and infrastructure consultant in a company with a Windows based architecture. At home I user *BSD.

Every time I get to work and need to make something work using the Windows Command Prompt I find myself using *nix commands.
Old 18th July 2008
Banned

I don't use Windows, and refuse to do so... even if it costs me money, I have to have at least some morality.

If I did though, I would probably start shouting.. curl up on the floor.. and wait for assistance.
Old 18th July 2008
Knuth's homeboy

sometimes i type vi keys on the command line (which uses emacs keys) and vice-versa.
Old 18th July 2008
Port Guard

EMACS line-editing keys in just about anything that doesn't support them (so yay for Opera, modulo ^W, and I can probably work around that somehow). GNOME2 especially--<shift>+<home>, <del> just isn't as convenient as ^U. and ^U in firefox really bugs me, since it's not just a no-op as elsewhere.

when I started using Opera, ^N was the key to open a new "page" (tab), and that's still in my bindings. takes me a while to remember ^T in other browsers. I also have gotten used to w3m's {} to switch tabs and added those bindings to opera, so I get distressed in other browsers if I try that.

nothing particularly unique, but I, too, often hit <esc> when done typing in any non-vi(-alike) editor.

any computer that isn't my own tends to have a PC-layout keyboard (<caps> to the left of 'a'), while I'm used to sun's unix-layout keyboards (type 5c + Sun-to-USB at work, type 6 USB at home--<ctrl> in the home row) or xmodmap workarounds on my laptops. really annoying in vim when the <caps> gets enabled and I immediately try to undo whatever I've typed in ALL CAPS (don't really know what cap-U does, but it's not exactly what I want at the time).

and finally, trying to use putty when it's set up for "compromise" copy/paste (paste with right button).
Old 18th July 2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemera View Post
sometimes i type vi keys on the command line (which uses emacs keys) and vice-versa.
Most shells have a vi editing mode.

Tags
discussion, habits, mistakes