DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2008
Port Guard

Question A few FreeBSD n00b questions

I recently started using FreeBSD and I have some pending questions if anyone would like to tackle them.

1) I installed 64bit, but now I find that 64bit does not support framebuffer or higher resolution in the console using something like kldload vesa, etc. Are there really any benefits of running 64bit on a personal desktop?

2) I think I prefer to use ports after trying both ports and packages, even though it does take a hell of a long time to build xorg + gnome2 on a fresh install (just finished after ~12hrs!) Somewhere I saw mentioned 'portupgrade'. How safe is this to use regularly? Does it recompile the upgraded components as needed?

3) what other tools should I know about for keeping my machine up to date, both ports and the core OS?

thanks in advance