DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2008
Port Guard

Default freebsd cluster how to

hello there
i want to build a cluster -high performance computing- with some of my old pc's for my un project and it will be based on freebsd
i was try with heart beat but it not usable for 40 pcs and serail links are very unusable there .
question is how can i build it on FreeBSD box ?
thanks all
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2008
Package Pilot

Hahaha. Welcome on daemonforums.org t4y4n.

What is the purpose of heartbeat in your setup? Does your HPC (High Performance Computing) cluster needs to be (HA) Highly Available? Usually, HPC Clusters do not use heartbeat. Instead, they use Ganglia or Munin for management purposes. When a node is down or broken, you simply are to remove it from the "free nodes pool".

Let me know.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2008
Port Guard

hello stukov
i said
this cluster is a base -or platform- for mathematical and mechanical programs such as catia -or hi etc like it - and for running a hash db to crack passwordz and get timing to renew our codes for best speed and performance . and if it work we want to run some of genetics programs and ..... checking checking and learning ...... so is that possible ?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2008
Package Pilot

Forget about heartbeat. Heartbeat will help you if you build a high-availability cluster (for example a Web server that has to be up and running 24/24 7/7 365/365). You should look at Torque, Xcat, and such.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2008
Administrator

check these:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2004.../freesbie.html
http://blizzard.rwic.und.edu/~nordlie/miniwulf/
http://people.freebsd.org/~brooks/pa...3/fbsdcluster/
http://www.csm.ornl.gov/pvm/
http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/Projects/...usterCookbook/
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/carp.html

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th May 2008
Package Pilot

I wanted to build a Beowulf cluster but i have no idea how should i start. I know the nodes communicate by message passing. I have openmpi and mpich ports installed.

Some useful guideline would help
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th May 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdnewbie999 View Post
I wanted to build a Beowulf cluster but i have no idea how should i start. I know the nodes communicate by message passing. I have openmpi and mpich ports installed.
It all depends on what kind of application you want to run. Will you be doing serial or parallel computing? Will you be the only one using the cluster or will a few / a lot of users will use it?

There is no 100% specific and definite software stack you can install. It all depends on your needs.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Port Guard

THANKS ALL

i wana use that for checking the passwd security -cracking my /etc/master.passwd eg- and some of programslike as catia
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th May 2008
Package Pilot

t4y4n, building a cluster for cracking passwords is not going to be an easy task. You will need an application that works in parallel. There may be a version of
"John the Ripper" that works with rainbow tables.

The difficulty might not be building the cluster itself but more finding or building the application that will run on it...

I'm sorry I don't know anything about Catia.

For sure, you will need MPI if you want to crack passwords in parallel. If you plan on having multiple users you will also need a resource manager.

As I mentioned before there is no precise how-to on how to build an HPC cluster because they are all different. It all depends on your application (home brewed / commercia; serial / parallel) and on your user base.
Spam Deminer

Did I say my laptop is crap?

Quote:
The updated version of the original Roadrunner uses 3.9 Megawatts of power (enough to power 39,000 100-Watt light bulbs). It has 6,948 dual-core Opterons on IBM LS21 Blades, as well as 12,960 Cell processors on IBM QS22 blades. The machine has 80TB of memory, 296 IBM BladeCenter H racks, requires 6,000 square feet of space, weighs 500,000 pounds and uses 57 miles of fiber optic cable.

When the IBM technicians have completed their testing of Roadrunner, it will be disassembled, packed onto 21 tractor trailer trucks and moved to Los Alamos in New Mexico, where it will be reassembled and tested again.
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=7338&Itemid=1
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Googol2 View Post
hey whats up ????? what u say ????????? i cant found anything linked to our post !!!! be carefull ! am i nasa moderator ???

thanks again stukov
but i'll go to build it for my un project :d im accept with u its hardening but can i do anything else ?
Old 21st May 2008
Port Guard

hello there
what's ur idea about condor
Old 21st May 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4y4n View Post
hello there
what's ur idea about condor
Looks pretty cool but never tried it personaly.
Port Guard

ok thanks but i try it by my self :d
Old 17th September 2008
New User

I'm designing a "cluster" computer rack for using "standard" motherboards...

Would like to know any interest/opinions...
Old 17th September 2008
Package Pilot

What kind of application will you run on this cluster?
New User

there is software, then there is hardware...

What I am working on is a HARDWARE chassis which will hold standard motherboards for a cluster or jbos (just bunch of servers) in a much smaller footprint than individual pc's (case/power supplies/etc...)...

I built/owned/operated an isp business for 8 years, and i know that footprint costs money...

Blade servers are the largest growth market presently in the computer market, but cost of blade servers are so high, my thinking is that a cost reduction using more availible parts could be marketable...

I've been in the computing field for 25+ years, and so far, my best skillcraft is packaging...

So, anyway, I am building a product, which in the faith of open source, I will release the design spec's like open source software, and rely on profit on those [not willing/not able] to "do it for themselves"...

All I an wondering is thoughts from others...
Old 18th September 2008
Package Pilot

I am working in a HPC datacenter for almost two years now. I can assure you the needs are :

Less:
- Footprint
- Heat
- Power consumption
More:
- Compute power
- Storage

You should definately boot diskless as hard drives always are the single point of failure in such an infrastructure (too costly to RAID all boxes)...

Good luck with your project. If you need any insights let me know.
New User

Default IBM Clusters

I worked at IBM Almaden Research Center for 7 years.

First 4 years doing custom control systems for the labs.

Last 3 years in the Research Computing Facility.

Almaden was the first IBM site to build/deploy clusters (RS6000), for which I played a minor part...

But when it came to engineer a product for some of IBM's large customers, we kinda had a parting of the ways...

IBM choose to go with the "Maximize Profit per Unit", whereas my group pushed for the "Maximum Performance per Unit"...

Well, long story told short, the Suits won, we left, and I am the last "keeper of the flame" so to say...

To further my own research, I built/owned/operated an ISP business with help from my former research buddies...

I am now working on a "ComputeCenter" cluster/jbos product, which initially will house standard motherboards (currently $50 each at Fry's)...

To the point (finally :-), I would like some feedback on interest in such a product, with thoughts on pricing limits, power supply n+1 requirements, internal chilling, stand alone versis 19inch rack cabinets, etc...

thanx in advance to all who respond... :-)

Tags
cluster