DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Security

FreeBSD Security Securing FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th December 2009
Shell Scout

Default prevent root ssh access

Hello, ok i want to prevent root access via ssh over network, thing is i need to have
Code:
PermitRootLogin without-password

so need to find another method, i did find a guide that said

Code:
Edit /etc/securetty

comment out everything except for the lines

* console
    * tty1
    * v/tty1

thing is this file is not on my freeebsd 6.3 ?

cheers
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th December 2009
More noise than signal

Why not just set PermitRootLogin no per sshd_config(5)?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th December 2009
Risen from the ashes

Either you need root access via SSH, or you don't. It's a binary option.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2009
Shell Scout

Thanks for replies, the server is running hsphere and so requires that i have
Code:
PermitRootLogin without-password
to allow CP to work, it needs root ssh at local level but i do not require or want over network which why i would like to know if can use another method other than sshd_config.

cheers
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2009
More noise than signal

According to http://www.forum.psoft.net/showthread.php?t=23824 you require without-password in order for two hsphere servers to transfer data.

"without-password' means password authentication cannot be used for root sessions, hence some other authentication method must be used. According to the same link, Hsphere uses shared keys.

A properly functioning ssh(1) client will not prompt for passwords. Brute force scripts (ssh attacks) don't use real ssh clients and will submit passwords anyway, which sshd(8) will ignore, though it will tell you about them it its logs.

Choices:
  • ignore this, knowing that another valid form of authentication must be used for root access.
  • Disable sshd access via firewall from any but confirmed IP addresses of your hsphere servers
  • In combination with the firewall, above, set up a second sshd(8) daemon listening on another port, that disallows root logins. Use this other daemon for non-Hsphere ssh use.
  • If Hsphere allows non-standard ssh connection ports, set up a private sshd daemon to listen for hspehre connections on another port, and use the default port 22 daemon for everything else. Set up an appropriate firewall, allowing only hsphere servers access to this daemon.

Last edited by jggimi; 17th December 2009 at 11:02 AM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2009
New User

you cannot change the default port for SSH for hsphere because you're going to need to change it in all script and some are compiled so you can't do it.
And if the CP can't talk to other machine its all your setup that going to stop working.

Anyway with "without-password" the guy need to have access to your machine first to generate a key to put it on his machine to after that login. Even with this option you can't log with the root password directly.

If you concern about security about your SSH, your best choice here is to add Firewall to limit access to SSH to have 1 machine behind is to accept SSH.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2009
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeper View Post
Anyway with "without-password" the guy need to have access to your machine first to generate a key to put it on his machine to after that login. Even with this option you can't log with the root password directly.
You don't have to generate keys on the system you will be accessing using that key. You can generate keys on any system, even Windows using puttygen. You don't need SSH access to the system in order to put the key in place, either. You just need to be able to write to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys. Which is why .ssh/ should have permissions set to 700, so that if someone hacks the web server, gets shell access, etc, they still won't be able to write to that directory without having root access.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th December 2009
New User

Oh yeah true, my bad, I had something else in my mind when I have write that part