DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Security

FreeBSD Security Securing FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2008
Port Guard

Question sshd and timeout

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a timeout for inactivity in the sshd of FreeBSD 7.0.

Am just starting to investigate some strange things when I am trying to connect to my FreeBSD box from a uBuntu one.
After a short time of inactivity (a matter of minutes, less than 5) the ssh client is just not reacting anymore. It's not frozen, it's just that no key pressed on the keyboard is displayed or transmitted anymore. After a while, I get a connection timeout message.
Before, on my FreeBSD 6.2 box, i could let the ssh client connected for ages without any problem.

So is there a default time limit set in sshd? if yes, how to modify it?

Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2008
Local

Are you passing through a home router/NAT device on the path from your ubuntu box to the FreeBSD sshd server? I've seen symptoms similar to what you are describing in that situation (but it hasn't been unique to FBSD).
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2008
Port Guard

well am passing through a router set where the FreeBSD box is.
But it is a Netgear router with its own settings, I just had to transfer some ports from the router to the box via the router's interface.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Local

Well, there is probably a cleverer approach, but the nasty workaround I came up with is: run some non-resource intensive command that will keep data moving across the wire at regular intervals.

e.g.
$ while true ; do clear ; w ; sleep 5 ; done

Fire that up if you're going to be away from your terminal for a couple minutes. (Make it an alias if you'd like.)

Alternatively, after logging into to your FBSD server, you could start up a screen session. If and when you're disconnected, you can just login and resume where you left off with screen -r.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Port Guard

am using screen for time consuming operation but... this is very annoying. I think the time before the problem occurs is around 2 minutes. Basically, I don't even have time to check the syntax of command!

Being force to every time reconnect and re-log in is very annoying!
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Arp Constable

/etc/ssh/sshd_config is your friend.

option: ClientAliveCountMax [integer, default: 3]

Sets the max # of client alive messages that will be sent without reply before the client is disconnected with a vengeance. Tune this with CleintAliveInterval so your clients don't get time outs to quickly.

Note: SSH2 only

option: ClientAliveInterval [integer, default: 0]

After [integer] seconds if no data is received from the client send an encrypted ping pong ball to the client asking to reply or face being terminated. The default value of 0 means sshd does not ask for if clients are still alive.

Note: SSH2 only

option TCPKeepAlive [bool, default: yes]

To send [yes] TCP keep alives to the other side of the connection or not [no]. If these are used it makes it easier to detect when client/server connections fail but it means if the network craps out for a moment your SSH session is toasted, setting it off means the session could hang.

Note: SSH1, SSH2, This does not work the same way as the ClientAlive* options !!!

When I was using a SSHFS (before I started getting system wide lockups on the client) I had to set the client alives to keep the mounts active when not in usse. In my case I adjusted the involved sshd_config files as such:

Code:
ClientAliveInterval 15
ClientAliveCountMax 45

Note from the manual page (sshd_config)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClientAliveCountMax
The default value is 3. If ClientAliveInterval (see below) is
set to 15, and ClientAliveCountMax is left at the default, unre-
sponsive SSH clients will be disconnected after approximately 45
seconds. This option applies to protocol version 2 only.

Cheers

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Port Guard

Thanks, that made it!