DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

View Poll Results: what linux distro do you use and/or like?
Redhat / Centos 24 15.19%
Suse 4 2.53%
Debian 35 22.15%
Slackware 30 18.99%
Gentoo 13 8.23%
Ubuntu 23 14.56%
Others 29 18.35%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th August 2008
Banned

I'm going to have to agree with 18Googol2... that's a suitable replacement model.
Old 18th August 2008
Port Guard

nah, i have a laptop that i am able to whatever i wsh to hence it is running arch linux, though i would rather it run openbsd...when i have time to spend i will re-try openbsd on it and see if it goes better next time...I'm lucky enough to have 2 FreeBSD machines to work on at work instead of the 3 windows servers we have there
Old 18th August 2008
Port Guard

I have been using gentoo for years. From 2002 that is the year it came out I think. It is really great. In my laptop I use Ubuntu not because I like it. It is because it is more practical than gentoo (I had gentoo on it) and it simply works. That is all I need.
In one of my servers I use Debian stable (of course) and OF COURSE in my big server i have FreeBSD
Old 25th August 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
You must not visit any of the OS X communities. In my experience most Mac users have no clue about computers, but they do know how to run their favored applications. Mostly.
Oh, believer me, most Mac users aren't any better than Windows users. It's the folks that generally came from Linux or some other Unix to Mac or use it alongside another Unix that really do it justice. It makes a great mobile operating system. I suppose Linux and *BSD would too, but they take work that I'm not willing to put in on a laptop. (If you're wondering, FreeBSD takes no work for me to setup on a desktop because I have a post-installation script that I wrote that installs all the packages I need and drops in my configuration files. That automation is bliss, and it doesn't take very long, if I go the binary route.)
Old 6th September 2008
Noob In Training

I run gentoo at work and its very stable but not as solid as i'd like(Iceweasel crashes almost instantly for example). I've tried CentOS on my home desktop for a while but it did not feel like a good fit for me personally. I have been very happy when running Debian over the years but I am here because i'd like to move completely over to the BSDs(FreeBSD in particular) on my desktops.
Old 8th September 2008
ISO Quartermaster

i used to use Mandriva at first.... nice distro for switching from windows to linux....
then i used gentoo and started to understand things under the hood....
Finally i tied arch linux.... which i thing is the best linux distro of all.....

and now i use FreeBSD..... Which is the best OS i have used so far
Amazing speed, compared to linux...., not to mention Windows
Old 27th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

My flavors of Linux are Slackware and Debian. I primarily run Slackware at home and Debian at the office.
New User

The jury is still out on everything! Here is what I'm running at the moment:
Primary box: iMac (intel) dual boot OSX/WindowsXP using BootCamp
Second box: Triple boot Windows XP /FC9 / Solaris 10
Laptop: FreeBSD 6.3
FreeBSD is the only one that will run on the old laptop with any degree of success except WindowsME (Shudder) and WindowsXP (slowly).
On the secondary box Fedora Core 9 is the only one that installed and ran with no problem (including correctly detecting and configuring my WiFi card). The only problem with that one is getting ANY boot loader to boot all three. GAG will boot Windows and Solaris (on the second disk with FC9) burt not FC9. I can use the BIOS to boot the second HDD for FC9 or Solaris. When I get a solution figured out I'll post the result.
Old 14th October 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

I use Slackware for development and testing, and CentOS as a third choice at times if FreeBSD or Slackware aren't available for whatever reason. As Linux distros go, Slackware is a great one. I've heard Gentoo also gets along well with FreeBSD fans, but I haven't tried it personally.

FreeBSD is still my first choice for x86/amd64 hardware by far, though.
Old 15th October 2008
Shell Scout

My current PC: OpenSUSE 11.0 x64/NetBSD 4.0 x64
My MacPPC bittorrent server (WIP, I'm still looking for a case, and the HD is dying and needs to be replaced soon): Darwin PPC 8
Old 25th October 2008
Banned

Debian. Sometimes I need a small system to work with.
Old 31st March 2009
Port Guard

Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 Etch.

I much prefer the BSD's, but when I absolutely have to use Linux, Debian's the one I go for. This is due to stable kernel (As far as Linux goes), decent package system, the ability to not install a DE on install. I also like the way Debian doesn't use bleeding edge features to maintain stability (Or just because the Debian package can't be bothered to keep it up to date =)

But I always avoid Linux if I can. It just seems too bleeding edge and lacks standardization, as well as other things. But due to it's increasing popularity, it's getting pretty compatible, which is why it's useful at times.
Old 6th April 2009
Flying Circus Master

I recently had to pick a Linux to work with; aside from a very short stint using Linux over 10 years ago (a shared hosting services provider) I've used FreeBSD exclusively. I needed a Virtual Private Server with decent memory and CPU allotment to act as a temporary transfer place for apps and data stuck on a vintage FreeBSD box and I couldn't find a decent price for such a thing running FreeBSD. Plus it seemed like a good time to branch out and see how the other side of the fence lives.

I suppose I should like the SysV style since my prior Unix experience was commercial SysV - DG/UX - but 10 years have erased that muscle memory and I keep reaching for /etc/rc.conf and ports.

I chose Debian partly on reputation, partly because it felt more developer-targeted, partly because it had a large number of packages and wasn't aimed at desktop users primarily.

While apt-get and friends works well enough, I find myself downloading sources (apt-get source pkgname) fairly often. Habit perhaps, I built ports from sources rather than installed packages in FreeBSD. But mostly its the package maintainer's choices of dependencies that I have trouble with. Far too many include a ton of stuff I don't want (MySQL being a common offender).

I also find myself downloading sources direct from the provider because many packages are older than I'd like to run. I want an up to date lighttpd, dovecot, postfix, for example.

With my FreeBSD hat on I would sometimes be saddened at lag time in ports showing up and, without any evidence of this, believed that the Linux world had it better. I now see that there are trade offs. Choose Debian and you'll get one philosophy and older "ports". Perhaps another flavour is as up to date as FreeBSD ports or more so.

Incidentally I think I've become sold on virtualization and am going to have to play some with Jails as well as OpenVZ and Xen and get up to speed. There do seem to be some interesting administrator / fault recovery advantages even if one isn't reselling these "slices" of a machine to others.

I'm glad I had this Linux interlude; but am angling to find a way to replace this one VPS instance with another running FreeBSD, so if anyone has any providers they like that offer such things at a good price/performance/stability point I'm all ears.

Due to the experience, whether its Linux or FreeBSD based, a relatively cheap VPS is probably going to become a DNS and secondary mail server for my collection of other machines soon.
Old 6th April 2009
More noise than signal

The only Linux I use is Puppy Linux, for backup and restore of NTFS.

Why?

• Small fast Live CD
  • Includes ntfsclone utility
Why am I posting? 'Cause I saw this yesterday:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20090405

Old 6th April 2009
Arp Constable

Is it just me, or did SUSE get a kick in the teeth poll wise?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 13th April 2009
Lisp Junkie

I went with Debian - for the past little while, prior to cozying up to OpenBSD, I lived and breathed Slackware. I liked its simplistic nature. However, the one problem that has always plagued Linux recently borked my most recent install - rouge post-install scripts updating crap that it shouldn't be: I upgraded libc, and my ethernet driver decided to go missing!?!

I was sort-of forced into running OpenBSD as someone had given me an install CD for it, and when my main desktop died (no-name-brand motherboard) and prior to my laptop arriving, I installed OpenBSD 4.4 on a clunker of a Pentium 3. It was beautiful.

My laptop is currently dual-booted Debian 5.0 and OpenBSD 4.4 and my replacement desktop (which is a Pentium 4 - soon to be delegated as a server) runs OpenBSD 4.4, only. The one thing I like about Debian (versus Slackware) is the way of "building the system up" as opposed to starting with a fully-fledged system, and taking the bells and whistles off, one-by-one.
Old 13th April 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
The only Linux I use is Puppy Linux, for backup and restore of NTFS.

Why?

• Small fast Live CD
  • Includes ntfsclone utility
Why am I posting? 'Cause I saw this yesterday:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20090405

That is real shocker to me Puppy runs as root all the time. I almost
fall of my chair trying to picture you happily running Linux as a root user.
Old 13th April 2009
More noise than signal

The only thing I ever do with it is use ntfsclone.
Old 13th April 2009
Tcpdump Spy

From LiveCD that is usually ok, because it's typically used to fix something, and root access is needed for that anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
The only thing I ever do with it is use ntfsclone.
How well does that work? I've been looking for a good Norton Ghost replacement because of various reasons (Lack of power&control mostly) ...
More noise than signal

The application works great. The man page and online help could use a little clarity, but then this is Linux and not BSD.

Key items: only sectors with actual metadata or file data are backed up. A 60GB filesystem that is 10% full will be a 6GB backup, that may be compressed with gzip or anything else handy.

Note: To restore requires the same size partition (or greater) than the filesystem backed up. So that 6GB backup example requires a 60GB+ partition on restore.