DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2009
Package Pilot

Default LightScribe Labeler for FreeBSD

http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/index.aspx

Hi!

I bought Samsung SH-S222L 22x DVD±RW PATA DVD Burner with Lightscribe and I like to use Lightscribe option too but...
On the above link is download for Linux. I tought that works linux emulation on FreeBSD but I didn't find anything. Are there any applications for Lightscribe labeling on FreeBSD, please?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

I found one simillar question in freebsd mailing list one year ago without the answer.

starikarp
-------------
http://starikarp.redbubble.com
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2009
Banned

LightScribe is a proprietary technology created by HP, licenced to other vendors.. with competing technologies from other vendors.

The Linux support that is available on that site includes only a public SDK and a shared library that can be used to link applications against.. it may or may not work using the Linux compatibility layer, but considering it most likely needs to manipulate the DVD-ROM device.. it most likely will not.

The licence agreement prohibits reverse engineering.. even though they can't really enforce that in any country.. no projects appear to exist regardless of that fact.

Sorry..
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2009
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
LightScribe is a proprietary technology created by HP, licenced to other vendors.. with competing technologies from other vendors.

The Linux support that is available on that site includes only a public SDK and a shared library that can be used to link applications against.. it may or may not work using the Linux compatibility layer, but considering it most likely needs to manipulate the DVD-ROM device.. it most likely will not.

The licence agreement prohibits reverse engineering.. even though they can't really enforce that in any country.. no projects appear to exist regardless of that fact.

Sorry..
Thank you very much for the answer...but anywhere it is sad that is impossible to use options which are normal in this time. IMO it is time to start thinking to swith to Linux which has much more support.

Thank you again.

Last edited by lumiwa; 2nd August 2009 at 10:42 PM.