DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2014
New User

Default Processor speed limited by _PPC ACPI objects

I am trying to install openbsd on my laptop, it is quite old and the battery almost dead, I am also using the original 65W PSU, and the bios is setting the _PPC flag to limit the processor speed since the power available might not be enough to run the system at full speed. In practice however problems arises only listening at music at high volume AND putting the CPU in a loop (100%) :-)

On linux I solve the problem setting ignore_ppc=1 for the acpi processor module the lappy works without problems with the loudspeakers muted or at low volume.

I could not find a way to do that on openbsd, possibly at boot time or as soon as possible, otherwise the system is too slow and not usable for me.

Apart that the install worked perfectly and the system works very slowly but very well with openbsd :-)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2014
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

Can you control CPU speed with apmd(8) and apm(8), which are used to manage the hw.setperf sysctl?

OpenBSD's _PPC listener is a component of the acpicpu(4) driver. This driver has no flags that can be set with config(8), but config(8) could be used to disable the driver ... which might cause operational malfunctions and risks damage to your hardware.

If you're interested in modifying the driver yourself, the driver can be found in src/sys/dev/acpi/acpicpu.c, while guidance for obtaining the source and for kernel building can be found in FAQ 5.

---
(You've posted in a FreeBSD subforum, but I'm sure one of the admins will move the thread for you.)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2014
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
OpenBSD's _PPC listener is a component of the acpicpu(4) driver. This driver has no flags that can be set with config(8), but config(8) could be used to disable the driver ... which might cause operational malfunctions and risks damage to your hardware.
---
(You've posted in a FreeBSD subforum, but I'm sure one of the admins will move the thread for you.)[/I]
I am going to try a boot with acpicpu disabled, I know perfectly I won't damage my hardware but it is a good advice. It is an old lappy anyway and it works perfectly (disabling the audio card), the bios designers should have disabled other components, less useful, in case the wattage was deemed not being sufficient :-)
BTW openbsd boots with the volume set at MAX, I should disable audio as well, just to be sure.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2014
Arp Constable

Quote:
BTW openbsd boots with the volume set at MAX, I should disable audio as well, just to be sure.
You should be able to set or even mute the volume using mixerctl(1)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th July 2014
New User

Yes thanks, that solves also the cpu speed problem BTW. The bios is not so as stupid as I thought
I used audioctl output_muted=1.
Maybe I should disable completely the driver using config, since I cannot use it there is no point loading it.