DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General Hardware

General Hardware General hardware related questions.

Old 14th November 2008
Banned

AMD64's Long mode, has 2 submodes.. compatibility mode and 64-bit mode, FreeBSD runs in compatibility mode.

The OpenBSD port runs in 64bit mode and cannot run 32-bit binaries.
Old 15th November 2008
Port Guard

Is there any particular brand of memory that's superior to others?
Old 15th November 2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfries88 View Post
Is there any particular brand of memory that's superior to others?
...is there a fresh litre of milk amongst the many choices at a local convenience store?
Old 15th November 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
...is there a fresh litre of milk amongst the many choices at a local convenience store?
I'll take that as "it's not worth the effort of checking them all, just get one and hope for the best". :P

EDIT:
How about wireless cards? I'm not too experienced with that technology.
Old 16th November 2008
UNIX lover

If FreeBSD, then Atheros imo. If OpenBSD then it doesn't matter if you don't need WPA, otherwise I've made good experiences with Ralink. Well of course you should inform yourself about supported devices.

The best way to do it, read the manuals:

e.g. for Ralink/OpenBSD: http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...86&format=html

or

Atheros/FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?q...SE&format=html
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabal View Post
If FreeBSD, then Atheros imo. If OpenBSD then it doesn't matter if you don't need WPA, otherwise I've made good experiences with Ralink. Well of course you should inform yourself about supported devices.
OpenBSD has increasing support for WPA, more chipsets in -current.. but plenty in the 4.4 release.

I can't make recommendations though, I don't know enough about Wifi.. not a heavy user.
Old 17th November 2008
UNIX lover

It's just my personal experience. Had some problems with different Atheros adapters in OBSD4.4 and an el cheapo Ralink USB-adapter works like a charm (including WPA/2) :-) Whereas the same adapter is really PITA in FreeBSD 7 (stable).
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabal View Post

The best way to do it, read the manuals:

e.g. for Ralink/OpenBSD: http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...86&format=html

or

Atheros/FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?q...SE&format=html
I don't really have any interest in OpenBSD, but how is Atheros support on Linux and Solaris?

And I very well may need WPA, since I'll be on a military base most of the time and I can't imagine them not having secure wifi (of course it may be presumptuous of me to assume they'll have wifi at all).

Last edited by nfries88; 17th November 2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 19th November 2008
UNIX lover

In Linux madwifi driver is still the best, ath5k in kernel is imo less stable even in the latest kernel. The latter is the free version of the Atheros driver ported from OpenBSD.
Spam Deminer

In perusing the OP's OP (hehe), the one thing that comes to mind is heat- you want multiple drives, multi-core processing, high-end graphics and possibly physically separate sound and network cards. And to power all of that wonderfullness you'll want to have a beefy power supply that will also need to be crammed in there. The problem becomes powering all of that and considering the heat dissipation and air circulation in an MATX case.

Be considerate of your choice for the case itself, and what kind of fans it has (or that you might add to it.) I say this because working for a webhosting company that has hundreds of dedicated servers to look after, we learned that lesson the hard way. Specifically, for a 'generation' of servers we built, we bought the cheapest possible cases that we could, and found hard-drives failing on a regular basis because there were too many high-heat generating components in a small area with piss-poor heat dissipation and air circulation. Nobody likes noisy fans in their home pc, of course, but even more plainly understandable is that no one likes a fried hard-drive even more than noise.

That being said, if you can find a way to sneak in quiet 120mm fans and not compromise the airflow design of the case in the meantime (I can't tell you enough how stupid it can be to leave your case cover off or randomly drill holes), you can get around this possible problem.
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai-danno View Post
[...]The problem becomes powering all of that and considering the heat dissipation and air circulation in an MATX case.

Be considerate of your choice for the case itself, and what kind of fans it has (or that you might add to it.) [...]

That being said, if you can find a way to sneak in quiet 120mm fans and not compromise the airflow design of the case in the meantime (I can't tell you enough how stupid it can be to leave your case cover off or randomly drill holes), you can get around this possible problem.
I'm not one to customize my case (never cared for aesthetics over performance or cost-efficiency).

Currently I'm looking at the APEVIA X-QPACK-AL, which has a 120mm rear fan, 2 vents on either side, and an LCD temperature display on the front. Two of the reviews on newegg were by people who are successfully using it with some beefy hardware. Two of the reviews (one of the same, one a different) mentioned problems with the power supply it comes with, but I'm sure I can manage something there.
I'll keep looking for a better one but for now I'd like to see what you have to say about that.
EDIT:
Now I'm looking at the SILVERSTONE SST-SG01-S.
Quote:
If you've been depriving yourself of the latest graphics card because you were worried about heat, here's your very cool answer! Silverstone's SG01-S MicroATX Desktop case focuses on keeping your components cool with its heat-dissipating aluminum body, maximum-cooling layout, top and side vents, and 80mm fans side and rear.
The only cons mentioned in the reviews are the lack of space and flimsiness of the front usb/audio ports which I'll probably barely use anyway.
For powersupply I'd use the one that other people who bought that case got, the SILVERSTONE OP650 650W power supply. It has a 120mm cooling fan, and the power switch makes it attractive to me (as I occasionally freeze up my computer doing some stupid shit and would like to instantly shut it off).

Last edited by nfries88; 21st November 2008 at 03:49 AM.
Old 24th November 2008
Spam Deminer

I like the Apevia choice, personally. While the 420W PS included may be questionable (and I cannot speak to it either way) you can always get a different PS (better, and higher wattage) and keep that as a spare just-in-case. I like the 120mm fan, and if that's noisy you can always replace it with something of a higher quality (read- quieter.)

The Silverstone just doesn't seem that great- no 120mm fan bay (just the PS you were going to include with it) and the ducting seems odd. It's also more expensive with no PS (although the price differential doesn't seem that bad.)

Either way you're probably going to be fine, but if I had to split hairs it would be the Apevia.
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai-danno View Post
The Silverstone just doesn't seem that great- no 120mm fan bay (just the PS you were going to include with it) and the ducting seems odd. It's also more expensive with no PS (although the price differential doesn't seem that bad.)
Antec EA 380 [1] (and other from that series) use 80x80x25 fan and from the reviews on the net it seems quiet as 120x120x25 of not more quiet the some 120x... but generally bigger fan = lower RPM to get the same flow = more silent.

[1] http://www.antec.com/usa/productDeta...an=us&id=27380

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 31st March 2009
New User

warning
the NVIDIA driver doesn't work on AMD64 for freeBSD
ok for solaris though.