DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th June 2018
Shell Scout

Default Does Xorg use xrandr to set the screen resolution?

deleted

Last edited by Prevet; 2nd December 2022 at 03:58 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th June 2018
parrot

This is what it say here: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-config.html
Quote:
5.4.6. Monitors

Almost all monitors support the Extended Display Identification Data standard (EDID). Xorg uses EDID to communicate with the monitor and detect the supported resolutions and refresh rates. Then it selects the most appropriate combination of settings to use with that monitor.

https://man.openbsd.org/xrandr.1

It is not clear what exactly you want to do or are trying to accomplish, so I don't know what more to say.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th June 2018
VPN Cryptographer

Example
Code:
xrandr --output monitorName --mode 1024x768
Should do what you want as long as the monitor supports the resolution. Although I'm unsure what "the computer is using software mode" means.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th June 2018
parrot

Just to help clarify, I did not know what my "monitorName" is, typing 'xrandr' without any arguments, gets that info.
Code:
$ xrandr             
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1440 x 900, maximum 8192 x 8192
VGA-1 connected 1440x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 408mm x 255mm
In my case the monitor name is VGA-1

Quote:
roddierod>> Although I'm unsure what "the computer is using software mode" means.
Same for me, maybe the OP can elaborate ?

Last edited by PapaParrot; 6th June 2018 at 08:04 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th June 2018
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevet View Post
...So I found this thread where jggimi pointed...
Old information can be out-of-date.

These days, if I ever needed a manual mode line, I would use cvt(1) or gtf(1) and create a fragment configuration file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2018
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevet View Post
Hey thanks for helping.

What was happening was when I used a HDMI cable to connect my big screen TV to my computer I got 1024x768 resolution, which was great because my computer doesn't have accelerated graphics that OpenBSD can use, so it uses software rendering. If the resolution is any bigger than 1024x768 the computer started slowing down.

The problem came when I used a DVI cable with my KVM switch it would default to 1920x1080 and there was nothing I could do with xrandr to change it to 1024x768. If you don't have hardware accelerated graphics capability you can forget about xrandr.

So I found this thread where jggimi pointed to a link that shows how to set the resolution using xorg.conf.

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=9100

The only other values I messed around with was the Xft.dpi: value in ~.Xdefaults. I changed it to Xft.dpi: 96 and in one program I had to increase the font size.
In my experience KVMs can do wacky things that you just can't correct. That's what this sounds like to me. Can connect from computer to TV with DVI and no KVM? Does resolution switching work then?

What kind of video card? What driver are you using?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2018
VPN Cryptographer

Ah, yeah nvidia and OpenBSD is pretty much a no go right now.

NetBSD has the nouveau driver working now apparently, some maybe in the near future nvidia will work better with OpenBSD.

It's been a long time since I used the vesa driver, but did you set the monitor or TV horizontal sync in the xorg.conf...pretty sure you need to add all that. And check the xorg.log there might be clues in there.