DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 3rd April 2017
Arp Constable

Quote:
Wait! What? How does that even work? Two devices have the same IP address, one static, one dhcp? You forced them to bridge? Can you do that? But, they still have private addresses, so I guess your ADSL+router is the main router+firewall in your castle?
One device was the server and I initially had it set to offer a limited number of IP addresses. The client device would request a single IP address within the narrow range offered by the server. It worked, I believe, because the static address the client was requesting was available at the server and no other client devices were requesting addresses..

I have since changed the server (Netis DL4201) to offer a Static address to my linksys SOHO routers' MAC.

In my setup the Netis ADSL modem only routes to the SOHO Linksys router. I turned everything else (ftp server, UPnP) in the ADSL Netis modem off. The Linksys router does most of the routing to static NIC devices and dhcp wireless devices.

I have never configured a cable modem but my sense is from the forum comments that most users do not use bridge mode when setting up a OpenBSD pf firewall.

Last edited by shep; 3rd April 2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Added cable modem comment
Old 3rd April 2017
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
I have never configured a cable modem but my sense is from the forum comments that most users do not use bridge mode when setting up a OpenBSD pf firewall.
I've used several, over several decades. Each time, the cable modems I used *were* bridges.

I've never used an ISP-provided cable modem that was integrated with a SOHO router. But they are very popular with non-technical cable customers.

I was a VDSL customer for a number of years, where at the time my only choice was an ISP-provided router. While it did not have a "bridge mode," it did have what the vendor called "SuperDMZ mode" which was the equivalent. The device didn't bridge directly because it was also providing multicast IPTV to set-top boxes on the local network.
Old 3rd April 2017
Shell Scout

Quote:
While it did not have a "bridge mode," it did have what the vendor called "SuperDMZ mode" which was the equivalent. The device didn't bridge directly because it was also providing multicast IPTV to set-top boxes on the local network.
This gave me an idea, because my ISP's adsl+router has a DMZ functionality, but I don't know if it's "superDMZ" And it also has IPTV (I don't use it - too slow connection where I live) and multicasts - I saw it on tcpdump.

jggimi, what's the trick behind "superDMZ"?

I hope my DMZ doesn't just forward packets from ext_ip to int_ip without filtering them. This would still require nat or static routing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

shep, ok, but what additional value does this solution have?

ADSL 1--> Router 2--> stuff
1. first dhcp, now static
2. static for wire, dhcp for wireless

if you have one subnet imho - zero. You could as well address your ADSL 192.168.2.1, your router 192.168.2.2 and the rest as you wish (dhcp or static).

If you have two subnets - you would still need either NAT or static routing so also zero.

It seems like a very normal solution to me and this is not quite the answer to my question
But I might not understood something correctly or lacking knowledge. If so, please correct me.

Last edited by beiroot; 3rd April 2017 at 02:55 PM. Reason: answering shep
Old 3rd April 2017
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiroot View Post
jggimi, what's the trick behind "superDMZ"?
No trick. I just enabled it, telling the gateway which device to assign.
Old 3rd April 2017
Arp Constable

Quote:
shep, ok, but what additional value does this solution have?
ADSL 1--> Router 2--> stuff

Put pf firewall between ADSL1 and Router2 particularly if ADSL1 and Router 2 are not OpenBSD friendly.