DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite terminal emulator?
xterm 11 35.48%
rxvt 1 3.23%
aterm 4 12.90%
eterm 0 0%
dtterm 0 0%
Gnome Terminal 1 3.23%
KDE Konsole 7 22.58%
Other 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Default Favorite Terminal Emulator

Hello,

What is your favorite terminal emulator - and why?
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
Banned

I chose xterm, why? because it does what it's supposed to do..
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
Slack Daemon

I wish xterm would support tab, right now, Im still using gnome-terminal
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
New User

xterm.

Because.. I like it?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th November 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsddaemon View Post
I wish xterm would support tab, right now, Im still using gnome-terminal
Screen works very well for this.

I use xterm with Screen on FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Solaris. On Mac OS X, I also use Terminal (Mac Terminal), which is a little limited color-wise, but it runs quite well.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
BSD gamer

I voted for xterm, although being a KDE user, I've been brainwashed into liking Konsole as well.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
ISO Quartermaster

I voted other. I need UTF-8 Asian language support, so I either use mlterm or rxvt-unicode (urxvt).
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
Administrator

In that order: urxvt / urxvt -pe tabbed / xterm / mrxvt / terminator

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Xterm. Because it is part of X windows system and default OpenBSD installation. It has very small memory footprint and is extremely light on resources. It does the job. It is very easy to configure. It is already present on any Unix or Unix like system.

I do understand that some people have special needs for instance support for Asian
languages and xterm is not the best solution for them.

For people who keep citing tabs as an excuse to use memory hogs like gnome-terminal or kde-console I would suggest to look at dvtm.

Dvtm is console/terminal-emulator manager inspired by dwm (dynamic window manager) tiling manager for X windows system.
It is extremely light program which will allow you to lunch multiple xterm sessions
in the same xterm or even split a console to multiple consoles on the systems which do not run X. All of then is done in tilling fashion so you will have all of your xterms
before your eyes at any given moment.

http://www.brain-dump.org/projects/dvtm/

The full power of dvtm is however in console. How many times did you wish you could have multiple console sessions on a headless server for instance. Now you can.

Cheers,
OKO
Old 26th October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Dvtm is console/terminal-emulator manager inspired by dwm (dynamic window manager) tiling manager for X windows system.
It is extremely light program which will allow you to lunch multiple xterm sessions
in the same xterm or even split a console to multiple consoles on the systems which do not run X. All of then is done in tilling fashion so you will have all of your xterms
before your eyes at any given moment.

http://www.brain-dump.org/projects/dvtm/

The full power of dvtm is however in console. How many times did you wish you could have multiple console sessions on a headless server for instance. Now you can.

Cheers,
OKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
That looks a lot like BSD window(1), for a person who loves using base utilities.. why use a port Oko?

Have fun.. oh, and as a bonus.. it supports overlapping windows, take that tiled managers!
Are these akin to GNU Screen?

Does BSD Window run in console as Screen and dvtm do? The man page seems to indicate so, but I want to make sure.
Old 27th October 2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
Are these akin to GNU Screen?
They may share some features, but many people use GNU screen for it's "detaching" features.. i.e: useful for multiplexing a single terminal among several users.

But I prefer either misc/tmux or misc/dtach for that.

BSD window and "dvtm" are simply console window managers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
Does BSD Window run in console as Screen and dvtm do? The man page seems to indicate so, but I want to make sure.
Does it run in console? of coarse it does.. it's part of base, not Xorg.

Why didn't you just test it out? switch into another virtual console while X is running.. type "window".
Old 27th October 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:

Why didn't you just test it out? switch into another virtual console while X is running.. type "window".
I just wanted to tell him the same. After your initial message about Window that was the first thing that I did. The second thing, I did, was to remove dvtm from all my computers

Last edited by Oko; 27th October 2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 27th October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
They may share some features, but many people use GNU screen for it's "detaching" features.. i.e: useful for multiplexing a single terminal among several users.

But I prefer either misc/tmux or misc/dtach for that.

BSD window and "dvtm" are simply console window managers..
Thanks.

Quote:
Does it run in console? of coarse it does.. it's part of base, not Xorg.

The reason I didn't test it out is that I'm not running BSD right now. I'm on Slackware. I don't have NetBSD fully running right now (I did check their site and it is a part of their base, too). I got my current desktop right at the start of the semester, and I got it installed but that is it. I have Slackware up and running and during the middle of the semester, I lack the time and courage to tinker with the system that has all my homework and configured software. In the past, I gather all these ideas during the semester and then test them out during the breaks. With the laptop coming, I'm planning on making that exclusively NetBSD - so I'll have a more-or-less dedicated system to that so I can try all this out.
Old 26th October 2008
Risen from the ashes

Konsole, because it supports tabs, allows you to control multiple sessions from one (broadcast commands to all other tabs simultaneously), supports profiles and bookmakrs so I can open the same set of tabs everytime, but with different sets depending on which servers I want to connect to, integrates with KDE, can be set to have an unlimited scrollback buffer, and all around just works. And now, with the KDE4 version, supports splitting a single tab view to show multiple terms at once.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 26th October 2008
Banned

That looks a lot like BSD window(1), for a person who loves using base utilities.. why use a port Oko?

Have fun.. oh, and as a bonus.. it supports overlapping windows, take that tiled managers!
Old 26th October 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
You got me on this one Thanks for the info!!!
I love using things from the base. You posted a very useful information.

Last edited by Oko; 26th October 2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 26th October 2008
Arp Constable

I'd vote None if I could, lol.

I don't really have a favorite terminal emulator, in fact I used to collect them once upon a time. If I didn't have any special needs, I would use xterm for the same reasons as everyone else; it's always there if X is.

I have two "special needs", a terminal that supports some usable form of transparency and an 'endurance' font! I prefer support for UTF-8, but the only non-ascii symbols I need to display are: £, €, ä, ö, ü, and ß - so it's not a big problem. I use my term for almost everything text related, including writing code in vim. So it is set to a large size (20, 22, or 24px) of the Terminus font, usually in the dimensions of 25~35 lines by 80~90 columns depending on what I'm doing. I also prefer a terminal emulator with tabs, I don't like small fonts, overlapping windows, or terminal multiplexers. Currently I've found x11/Terminal and Console to work best for me.

But I tend to change my default terminal emulator periodically, just like web browsers lol. If my term didn't support some form of transparency, I would *never* see my wall paper, and that would default the point of running the X Windows System on my laptop.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 26th October 2008
Local

My favorite is x11/Terminal -- tabs, easy copy/paste (with configurable shortcuts), and easy to change colors, font, background, transparency, etc.

I actually run it on icewm (not xfce).
Arp Constable

The only bad thing about Terminal, the default setting for $TERM is "xterm", in some programs you might want to set this to something more colourful. Terminal supports at least 80 colours I think, and it can do 16 with ease.

Me, I like vim/mutt with the default 8 colours hehe.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.

Last edited by TerryP; 26th October 2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 27th October 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
The only bad thing about Terminal, the default setting for $TERM is "xterm", in some programs you might want to set this to something more colourful. Terminal supports at least 80 colours I think, and it can do 16 with ease.
xterm support 88 and 256 colors, I use elinks & vim in such setup
Konsole support true color modes(but eats much of RAM).