DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2018
Always learning

Default I need a tool that will generate hardware info

Is there a tool similar to inxi ?

I need a tool that will generate hardware info
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2018
parrot

What makes you think inxi can not be used on OpenBsd ?
Code:
$ inxi -F
System:
  Host: garry.garry.org Kernel: OpenBSD 6.3 amd64 bits: 64 
  Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 OS: OpenBSD 6.3 
Machine:
  Type: N/A Mobo: Dell model: OptiPlex 780 serial: BSN8BP1 BIOS: Dell v: A06 
  rev: 2.5 date: 11/03/2010 
Battery:
  Missing: Required program dmidecode not available 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  L2 cache: N/A 
  Speed: 3000 MHz min/max: N/A 
  Core speeds (MHz): No speed data found for 2 cores. 
Graphics:
  Display: server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting 
  resolution: 1440x900~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43 v: 2.1 Mesa 13.0.6 
Audio:
Network:
  IF-ID-1: em0 state: active speed: 1000baseT duplex: full-duplex 
  mac: f0:4d:a2:27:86:49 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: N/A used: 67.85 GiB 
  ID-1: /dev/sd0 vendor: Hitachi model: HUA721075KLA330 size: N/A 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 1004.8 MiB used: 91.3 MiB (9.1%) fs: local dev: /dev/sd0a 
  ID-2: /home size: 496.05 GiB used: 61.88 GiB (12.5%) fs: local 
  dev: /dev/sd0k 
  ID-3: /tmp size: 3.93 GiB used: 496 KiB (0.0%) fs: local dev: /dev/sd0d 
  ID-4: /usr size: 1.97 GiB used: 749.2 MiB (37.2%) fs: local dev: /dev/sd0f 
  ID-5: /var size: 9.73 GiB used: 311.4 MiB (3.1%) fs: local dev: /dev/sd0e 
  ID-6: swap-1 size: 3.20 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sd0b 
Sensors:
  Platform: No Openbsd support. Is a comparable sensors tool available? 
Argument "1569M" isn't numeric in numeric ne (!=) at ./inxi line 17096.
Info:
  Processes: 69 Uptime: 3h 33m Memory: 2.95 GiB used: 1569M (0.1%) 
  Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.26 
bash-4.4$
https://github.com/smxi/inxi
Quote:
GitHub - smxi/inxi: inxi is a full featured CLI system information tool. It ...
https://github.com/smxi/inxiProxy Highlight
README for inxi - a command line system information tool The new faster, more
..... actively supported: FreeBSD+derived; OpenBSD+derived; NetBSD+derived.
I prefer using 'dmesg' though, it has more complete information.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2018
Always learning

@GarryR

Code:
$ pkg_info -Q inxi                                                         
home$
^^ That returned nothing and

Code:
# pkg_add inxi                                                                                       
quirks-2.414 signed on 2018-03-28T14:24:37Z
Can't find inxi
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2018
parrot

Well , no, it isn't in the packages, but the link I showed has it, and it works. You don't really need it though, the 'dmesg' command is all ready available, it is in the OpenBsd base system, no need to install anything.
Side note: The inxi script from github, does not work very well using the "csh" shell, but it does work ok using either ksh or bash. It actually is a script, there is nothing to compile.

Last edited by PapaParrot; 10th October 2018 at 11:02 PM. Reason: correction
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2018
OpenBSD language porter

Why not make a port of it?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2018
Always learning

I hope it gets added in the next release as as a package. I dont install anything from the ports..
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2018
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd007 View Post
I dont install anything from the ports..
Yes, yes you do. Every time you install a package and its dependencies with pkg_add(1). The Ports system is used to build those packages you install.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2018
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
I hope it gets added in the next release as as a package. I dont install anything from the ports..
It's not gonna be in 6.4, since there's no port of it. You can fix that.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2018
Always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Yes, yes you do. Every time you install a package and its dependencies with pkg_add(1). The Ports system is used to build those packages you install.
I used FreeBSD for short period of time in the past. There I had 2 options. Install from the repo or install from the ports. Meaning 2 different sources. Is this different in case of OpenBSD ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
It's not gonna be in 6.4, since there's no port of it. You can fix that.
I am a complete newbie.
Old 10th October 2018
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
I used FreeBSD for short period of time in the past. There I had 2 options. Install from the repo or install from the ports. Meaning 2 different sources. Is this different in case of OpenBSD ?
Yes. See http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html

Quote:
I am a complete newbie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_TnemhzbXQ
Old 10th October 2018
Always learning

@ibara

Quote:
The ports collection does not go through the same thorough security audit that is performed on the OpenBSD base system. Although we strive to keep the quality of the packages high, we just do not have enough resources to ensure the same level of robustness and security.
^^ This worries me or may be I am over thinking this.
Old 10th October 2018
More noise than signal

Quote:
Is this different in case of OpenBSD ?
There are some differences. In particular, the purpose of the Ports system on OpenBSD is to build packages. When you "make install" a port on OpenBSD, you are building a package which then gets installed via pkg_add(1). When you are building a port of the same version/flavor/patch-level as a package available from a mirror, you are building a package with identical functions, and there is no advantage to building it locally.
Old 10th October 2018
OpenBSD language porter

You don't have to use packages. You can always compile all your software by hand.
Old 10th October 2018
Always learning

Got it. Thanks for the replies.
Old 10th October 2018
parrot

Quote:
Is there a tool similar to inxi ?

I need a tool that will generate hardware info
As your question is stated, if you want to use inxi , you can . It is available "free" and is really just a script, no compiling or installation. The script is easily modified, and can be read carefully before using it, if one is worried about any security issues etc. I suggest reading the readme, care fully as well.
Quote:
ibara>> Why not make a port of it?
Me ? or any body,... I don't see any reason to make a port, the script is available , and it works ok, at least for me,personally I don't really have the time my self, similar to the author, and the authors say's it here:
https://github.com/smxi/inxi/blob/master/README.txt
Quote:
#line 374# BSD / UNIX
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BSD support is not as complete as GNU/Linux support due to the fact some of the
data simply is not available, or is structured in a way that makes it unique to
each BSD. This fragmentation makes supporting BSDs far more difficult than it
should be in the 21st century. The BSD support in inxi is an ongoing process,
with more features being added as new data sources and types are discovered.

Note that due to time/practicality constraints, in general, only the original
BSD branches will be actively supported: FreeBSD+derived; OpenBSD+derived;
NetBSD+derived. Other UNIX variants will generally only get the work required
to make internal BSD flags get set and to remove visible output errors.
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryR View Post
Me ? or any body,...
I meant that towards bsd007.
Old 12th October 2018
Port Guard

Default inxi info

I do a fair amount of work to keep OpenBSD and FreeBSD (+derived versions) working reasonably well, though the BSDs will probably never have the depth of data I can generate for GNU/Linux systems.

I can't comment on OpenBSD's views of security since they are whatever they are, and I tend to respect OpenBSD's views on security above everything else out there, and greatly appreciate their ongoing contributions to global internet security (OpenSSH, LibreSSL). I have no idea how they view things like inxi, but inxi is Perl, and uses programs that are found in the system running inxi, so it's no more or less secure than Perl or the programs it runs. If you have dig installed, which I believe is a default on the BSDs, the WAN ip data would come from dig, not an HTTP IP tool, which is the fallback.

Note that I have given up and drawn a line of support after seeing the huge differences between say an OpenIndiana and one of the main BSDs like OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD (+variants), it's a question of diminishing returns plus man hours of dev time vs user per variant in the end, so I finally decided to just focus on the 3 main BSDs and just make sure the other unixes don't crash or show errors, and call it good there. Further note that NetBSD so far has stumped me so I haven't done any testing on it yet beyond very basic stuff.

ports
I think an inxi port was made a while ago, but never updated, by GhostBSD, technically speaking, there's very little reason to create different ports between the various BSDs, it's all the same program running, so I would expect 1 port cross BSD family should work assuming man pages go in the same place on each BSD variant (that is, why reinvent the wheel, one port should work for everything unless there are bigger differences between the 3 bsds than I am aware of, which is probable).

Download/install shortcuts
I have made redirect shortcut urls at smxi.org/inxi and dev version smxi.org/pinxi that redirect to the actual full long github repo url, so even if I get off of github, the shortcuts will just be changed to point to the new repo files. There's also direct download links if your downloader can't handle redirects.

Note that inxi has a self-updater in it, -U, so it's not particularly difficult to install it once, then use the -U option to update from then on. It is, as noted, a single file, or two, if you include the man page.

This will pull in the github inxi plus the github man, unless you specificy the --no-man option, which will not get the man page as well on update.

csh: no problems
Note that in the following examples, the FreeBSD one is running in csh, and there are zero issues. Nor should there be any, the only thing that uses the shell is the initial start command you run, and whatever the default user shell is for subshells internal to inxi.

Further note that I test on a network of FreeBSD boxes remotely always during pinxi/inxi development, and did every step of the way during the relatively recent refactor to Perl5, and in fact, I had the great good fortune that those boxes were running older FreeBSDs, then moved to newer FreeBSDs, during the development process, so I was able to get all the stuff working and tested on several major release variations of FreeBSD. Always running csh as default shell.

BSD development challenges
My time on BSD dev necessarily is limited to the machines I have direct access to, which is one reason FreeBSD support tends to be better than OpenBSD (though I spent a fair amount of time enhancing OpenBSD support over the last 6 months, ongoing process...), and there's actually more OpenBSD data collected internally than is being used for output (battery data, sensors data) because those are very difficult to implement to create consistent output. Always easy to create human readable output, not so easy to have automated reading 'understand' the various strings involved in that.

There are always challenges in the process, for example, I saw on GarryR's example that OpenBSD has just changed in vmstat the column count and order, as well as changed a KiB integer value for fre/avm to a human readable M MiB value, including the M character, which of course broke inxi's BSD memory tool. So the ability to support the BSDs is always a bit harder than it should be due to this type of change year over year. But I do try.

For example, the development version of inxi, pinxi, now has the memory issue corrected.

Data sources
I use dmesg.boot a bit for BSD data, but it's by no means the primary tool, in fact, I'd say it's maybe 3rd on the list of where the data comes from. That is, if I run inxi on a system where I don't have read privileges for dmesg.boot, I still get a pretty full report.

As soon as you get into the reality of trying to do these type of blends of data from different sources, the idea of reading a single data source starts to get quite a bit less attractive in my view.

The thing that has puzzled me the most is the inability to get from a file the actual current CPU speeds, per core, or just anything, in the BSDs, something like /proc/cpuinfo, that is, or /sys/.../current_freq type data.

With this said, the set of data sources i have available on the BSDs is significantly smaller than the set I have available in GNU/Linux, and that's just a reality, though I'm always happy to extend within reason the tools used as long as it doesn't take too much work (or too many lines of code), and has reasonably reliable syntax and structure - another thing that, as we see with the OpenBSD 6.1 to 6.3 vmstat changes, simply can never be assumed.

I wish it could be, but experience has shown me it can't, so that's what I have to handle, for instance, to handle just this single OpenBSD vmstat change, I had to full refactor the memory tool to dynamically detect which columns fre and avg are, then I had to detect if the values contain an M, then do the math on this, and this is just for one single BSD between 2 versions of the same major version set (6.x), so it's a challenge.

OpenBSD with root
Here's current latest pinxi/inxi full data plus filters, you can see the variations between FreeBSD and OpenBSD (though there would be a bit more data available if the OpenBSD was on bare metal, not a vm).

A few key things stand out on this system, first, I can't match the Network Device to the IF that belong to it, or the IPs attached to that IF. I can do this on the FreeBSD example below. This is subtle unless you understand what inxi is actually telling you here (IF-ID-x means that it had an IF that it could not match to a device).
Code:
System:    Host: obsd63.my.domain Kernel: OpenBSD 6.3 amd64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: FVWM 2.2.5 dm: xenodm 
Machine:   Type: N/A Mobo: innotek model: VirtualBox v: 1.2 serial: N/A uuid: 0cc3b369-0563-45c1-9389-6dccdbd1ca99 
           BIOS: innotek v: VirtualBox rev: 2.5 date: 12/01/2006 
Battery:   Unknown-error: dmidecode was unable to generate data 
Memory:    RAM: total: 1007.9 MiB used: 97.0 MiB (9.6%) 
           RAM Report: unknown-error: dmidecode was unable to generate data 
PCI Slots: Unknown-error: dmidecode was unable to generate data 
CPU:       Topology: Single Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 bits: 64 type: UP arch: N/A family: N/A model-id: N/A 
           stepping: N/A microcode: N/A L2 cache: N/A 
           Speed: 3400 MHz min/max: N/A Core speed (MHz): No speed data found for 1 cores. 
           Features: N/A 
           Vulnerabilities: No CPU vulnerability/bugs data available. 
Graphics:  Device-1: InnoTek VirtualBox Graphics Adapter driver: N/A bus ID: 0:2.0 chip ID: 80ee:beef 
           Display: server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: vesa alternate: vboxvideo resolution: 1024x768~61Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on softpipe v: 3.3 Mesa 13.0.6 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801AA AC97 driver: N/A bus ID: 0:5.0 chip ID: 8086:2415 
Network:   Device-1: Intel 82540EM driver: N/A port: N/A bus ID: 0:3.0 chip ID: 8086:100e 
           Device-2: Intel 82371AB Power type: network bridge driver: N/A port: N/A bus ID: 0:7.0 chip ID: 8086:7113 
           IF-ID-1: em0 state: active speed: 1000baseT duplex: full-duplex mac: <filter> 
           IP v4: <filter> scope: N/A broadcast: <filter> 
           WAN IP: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 15.62 GiB used: 943.6 MiB (5.9%) 
           ID-1: /dev/wd0 vendor: VirtualBox model: VBOX HARDDISK size: 15.62 GiB serial: N/A 
           Optical-1: /dev/cd0 vendor: VBOX model: CD-ROM rev: 1.0 dev-links: N/A 
           Features: speed: Ultra-DMA mode 2 multisession: N/A audio: N/A dvd: N/A rw: none state: N/A 
RAID:      Message: No RAID data was found. 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 551.1 MiB used: 62.0 MiB (11.2%) fs: local dev: /dev/wd0a label: N/A uuid: N/A 
           ID-2: /home size: 3.76 GiB used: 18 KiB (0.0%) fs: local dev: /dev/wd0k label: N/A uuid: N/A 
           ID-3: /tmp size: 767.2 MiB used: 14 KiB (0.0%) fs: local dev: /dev/wd0d label: N/A uuid: N/A 
           ID-4: /usr size: 1.26 GiB used: 691.5 MiB (53.6%) fs: local dev: /dev/wd0f label: N/A uuid: N/A 
           ID-5: /usr/X11R6 size: 618.8 MiB used: 177.7 MiB (28.7%) fs: local dev: /dev/wd0g label: N/A uuid: N/A 
           ID-6: /usr/local size: 2.17 GiB used: 6.8 MiB (0.3%) fs: local dev: /dev/wd0h label: N/A uuid: N/A 
           ID-7: /usr/obj size: 3.27 GiB used: 2 KiB (0.0%) fs: local dev: /dev/wd0j label: N/A uuid: N/A 
           ID-8: /usr/src size: 1.41 GiB used: 2 KiB (0.0%) fs: local dev: /dev/wd0i label: N/A uuid: N/A 
           ID-9: /var size: 1.11 GiB used: 5.6 MiB (0.5%) fs: local dev: /dev/wd0e label: N/A uuid: N/A 
           ID-10: swap-1 size: 904.5 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/wd0b label: N/A uuid: N/A 
Unmounted: Message: No unmounted partition data found for this BSD system. 
USB:       Hub: 0-1:1 info: Apple OHCI root hub ports: 12 rev: full speed chip ID: 0000:106b 
Sensors:   Platform: No Openbsd support. Is a comparable sensors tool available? 
Repos:     OpenBSD pkg mirror: /etc/installurl 
           1: https://cloudflare.cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD
Info:      Processes: 46 Uptime: 6h 04m Init: init (BSD) v: N/A Compilers: gcc: 4.2.1 clang: 5.0.1 Shell: ksh 
           pinxi: 3.0.26-20
FreeBSD remote server with restricted permissions
This example is useful to demonstrate just how little data comes from dmesg.boot, just the cpu flags, and the disk data.
Code:
pinxi -v8 --no-host -zy80
System:
  Kernel: FreeBSD 10.4-RELEASE-p12 amd64 bits: 64 compiler: clang v: 3.4.1 
  Console: tty 0 dm: N/A OS: FreeBSD 10.4-RELEASE-p12 
Machine:
  Permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Are you root? 
Battery:
Memory:
  RAM: total: 23.98 GiB used: 22.94 GiB (95.7%) 
  RAM Report: permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Are you root? 
PCI Slots:
CPU:
  Topology: 8-Core model: Intel Core i7 930 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: N/A 
  family: N/A model-id: N/A stepping: N/A microcode: N/A L2 cache: N/A 
  Speed: 2800 MHz min/max: 1600/2801 MHz 
  Core speeds (MHz): No speed data found for 8 cores. 
  Features: dmesg.boot permissions 
  Vulnerabilities: No CPU vulnerability/bugs data available. 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Matrox Systems MGA G200eW WPCM450 driver: vgapci bus ID: 0:8:4.0 
  chip ID: 102b:0532 
  Display: server: No display server data found. Headless machine? tty: 102x40 
  Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing. 
Audio:
Network:
  Device-1: Intel 82574L Gigabit Network driver: em port: N/A bus ID: 0:6:0.0 
  chip ID: 8086:10d3 
  IF: em0 state: active speed: 1000baseT duplex: full-duplex mac: <filter> 
  IP v6: <filter> scope: link 
  IP v6: <filter> scope: N/A 
  Message: Output throttled. IPs: 435; Limit: 10; Override: --limit [1-x;-1 
  all] 
  Device-2: Intel 82574L Gigabit Network driver: em port: N/A bus ID: 0:7:0.0 
  chip ID: 8086:10d3 
  IF: em1 state: no mac: <filter> 
  WAN IP: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: dmesg.boot permissions used: 631.50 GiB 
  Drive Report: dmesg.boot permissions 
  Optical Report: dmesg.boot permissions 
RAID:
  Device-1: tank type: zfs status: ONLINE size: 1.81 TiB free: 1.20 TiB 
  allocated: 628.00 GiB Components: online: ada2 ada1 ada3 
  Device-2: cache type: zfs status: no-status raid: no-raid size: 25.90 GiB 
  free: 1.17 GiB Components: online: ada0s2 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 53.27 GiB used: 26.91 GiB (50.5%) fs: ufs dev: /dev/ada0s1a 
  label: N/A uuid: N/A 
  ID-2: /usr/boxes size: 1.43 TiB used: 296.82 GiB (20.2%) fs: zfs 
  raid: tank/boxes label: N/A uuid: N/A 
  ID-3: /usr/home size: 1.26 TiB used: 116.68 GiB (9.1%) fs: zfs 
  raid: tank/home label: N/A uuid: N/A 
  ID-4: /usr/public_ftp size: 1.15 TiB used: 2.57 GiB (0.2%) fs: zfs 
  raid: tank/public_ftp label: N/A uuid: N/A 
  ID-5: /usr/www/users size: 1.29 TiB used: 150.63 GiB (11.4%) fs: zfs 
  raid: tank/www-users label: N/A uuid: N/A 
  ID-6: /usr/wwws/users size: 1.14 TiB used: 35 KiB (0.0%) fs: zfs 
  raid: tank/wwws-users label: N/A uuid: N/A 
  ID-7: /var/mail size: 1.18 TiB used: 36.12 GiB (3.0%) fs: zfs 
  raid: tank/var-mail label: N/A uuid: N/A 
  ID-8: swap-1 size: 5.00 GiB used: 1.75 GiB (35.0%) fs: swap 
  dev: /dev/ada0s1b label: N/A uuid: N/A 
Unmounted:
  Message: No unmounted partition data found for this BSD system. 
USB:
  Missing: Required tool usbdevs not installed. Check --recommends 
Sensors:
  Platform: No Freebsd support. Is a comparable sensors tool available? 
Repos:
  BSD ports server: /etc/portsnap.conf 
  1: portsnap.FreeBSD.org
  FreeBSD update server: /etc/freebsd-update.conf 
  1: update.FreeBSD.org
  BSD enabled pkg servers in: /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf 
  1: pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/$ABI/quarterly
Processes:
  CPU top: 5 ( 4 processes) 
  1: cpu: 0.0% command: sshd: pid: 89410 mem: 4.54 MiB (0.0%) 
  2: cpu: 0.0% command: -csh pid: 89415 mem: 2.51 MiB (0.0%) 
  3: cpu: 0.0% command: pinxi started by: perl pid: 99104 mem: 21.6 MiB (0.1%) 
  4: cpu: 0.0% command: ps pid: 99109 mem: 1.70 MiB (0.0%) 
  Memory top: 5 ( 4 processes) 
  1: mem: 21.6 MiB (0.1%) command: pinxi started by: perl pid: 99104 cpu: 0.0% 
  2: mem: 4.54 MiB (0.0%) command: sshd: pid: 89410 cpu: 0.0% 
  3: mem: 2.51 MiB (0.0%) command: -csh pid: 89415 cpu: 0.0% 
  4: mem: 1.70 MiB (0.0%) command: ps pid: 99109 cpu: 0.0% 
Info:
  Processes: 4 Uptime: 28d 18h 55m Init: init (BSD) v: N/A Compilers: 
  gcc: 6.4.0 clang: 3.7.1 Shell: csh v: 6.20.00 running in: tty 0 (SSH) 
  pinxi: 3.0.26-23
The present and future
These changes in pinxi 3.0.26-2x will be turned into next inxi, 3.0.27, shortly, for example.

I like to maintain BSD support to the best level I can given time/energy constraints, but it is difficult, and particularly so given the key and or minor differences between variants, and even between the same OS but between releases of that OS.

In terms of raw man hours / energy, I think I probably spend about 10x more on the BSDs than I 'should', but I feel it's important to maintain as much support as I can, it's always been something I considered valuable even if nobody else does.

In terms of the reality of development between BSDs and GNU/Linux, I can tell you that I'm using /sys data more and more, along with always having used the /proc files, and that's one reason that in some areas, Linux support is expanding much more rapidly than BSD support, the data is simply not there in the BSDs as far as I can tell. This becomes particularly important with ARM features, which are in inxi almost exclusively coming from /sys data now, that is, there is no ARM support beyond super basic things for the BSDs, nor do I see any way forward in that regard since all the data is coming from /sys or /proc.

Last edited by h2; 12th October 2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12th October 2018
parrot

Thanks for taking the time to share on this. It (inxi) is working fine for me , now.
Code:
System:
  Host: garry.garry.org Kernel: OpenBSD 6.3 amd64 bits: 64 
  Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 OS: OpenBSD 6.3 
Machine:
  Type: N/A Mobo: Dell model: OptiPlex 780 serial: BSN8BP1 BIOS: Dell v: A06 
  rev: 2.5 date: 11/03/2010 
Battery:
  Missing: Required program dmidecode not available 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  L2 cache: N/A 
  Speed: 3000 MHz min/max: N/A 
  Core speeds (MHz): No speed data found for 2 cores. 
Graphics:
  Display: server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting 
  resolution: 1440x900~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43 v: 2.1 Mesa 13.0.6 
Audio:
Network:
  IF-ID-1: em0 state: active speed: 1000baseT duplex: full-duplex 
  mac: f0:4d:a2:27:86:49 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: N/A used: 68.01 GiB 
  ID-1: /dev/sd0 vendor: Hitachi model: HUA721075KLA330 size: N/A 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 1004.8 MiB used: 91.9 MiB (9.1%) fs: local dev: /dev/sd0a 
  ID-2: /home size: 496.05 GiB used: 62.03 GiB (12.5%) fs: local 
  dev: /dev/sd0k 
  ID-3: /tmp size: 3.93 GiB used: 462 KiB (0.0%) fs: local dev: /dev/sd0d 
  ID-4: /usr size: 1.97 GiB used: 749.3 MiB (37.2%) fs: local dev: /dev/sd0f 
  ID-5: /var size: 9.73 GiB used: 311.5 MiB (3.1%) fs: local dev: /dev/sd0e 
  ID-6: swap-1 size: 3.20 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sd0b 
Sensors:
  Platform: No Openbsd support. Is a comparable sensors tool available? 
Info:
  Processes: 65 Uptime: 14h 39m Memory: 2.95 GiB used: 878M (0.0%) 
  Shell: csh inxi: 3.0.26
=============== edit =====
I ran
Code:
inxi -U
as root, and now have the manual as well, thanks again
Code:
Starting download of man page file now.
Downloading Man page file...
Download successful. Compressing file...
Download and install of man page successful.
Check to make sure it works: man inxi
garry# exit
garry% man inxi
man: outdated mandoc.db lacks inxi(1) entry, run makewhatis /usr/share/man
INXI(1)                           inxi manual                          INXI(1)

NAME
       inxi  - Command line system information script for console and ---snip---

Last edited by PapaParrot; 12th October 2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12th October 2018
Port Guard

If you get the latest pinxi, you'll see the memory issue on the Info: line is corrected. I'm surprised you're not getting an error there, you should be in inxi since that fix is not in inxi yet, just pinxi.

But I see failures, more actually, for example, inxi failed to grab the disk total size from dmesg.boot, as you can see: Local Storage: total: N/A

This is I assume either a data syntax change or a permissions issue on dmesg.boot.

The process of trying to extract usable data from dmesg.boot and sysctl is far more random and haphazard than it should be, these are NOT consistently key value pairs, they are far too often basically sentences that tend to contain certain structures (that's where disk size comes from, for example), which I am fully aware can and often do change at any time. The lack of consistent key value pair data in the core sources is one of the biggest challenges I face trying to support the BSDs, and it's honestly one of the ones most surprising to me given the general use and role of the BSDs, where you would expect such data to be readily available for machine parsing.

As an example, I don't even use dmesg data at all in GNU/Linux data because it's simply too unreliable (since it contains all mesg data, not just the boot, a single kernel oops can dump all the boot data from the output, making it useless)

Last edited by h2; 12th October 2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12th October 2018
Port Guard

inxi is inxi, the master branch of inxi. pinxi is pinxi, the development branch of inxi. The two aren't related except that they share the same github repo.

I work on pinxi, then when I've collected enough changes, currently that seems to happen roughly every 2 weeks, I move pinxi to inxi, then start all over again. I don't personally even use inxi since I have no reason to, I always use pinxi. Which can and does break at times, or spew out unexpected debugger output, lol.

For example, a few releases ago, I finally got openbsd pcidump support working, after refactoring fully the entire device data generator block to handle all the variants, lspci, pcidump, pciconf (and eventually pcictl once I figure out how to run netbsd), and the /sys based ARM data structures.

That was a big update since I had refactored large core logic blocks, added openbsd pcidump, which then suddenly made openbsd output almost as complete as freebsd output, that was in I think 3.0.24 or 25, I forget.