DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th October 2008
Port Guard

Default Debian checkinstall style functionality for pkg_create command?

I've found the Debian checkinstall utility to be very heplful for creating quick and dirty packages from software that I have compiled from source.

I was curious if there was any way that I could use the pkg_create command in a similar manner, without having to go through all the ports rigamarole.

*YES* I have read the entire pkg_create man page, and found it to be rather obtuse to be honest.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th October 2008
More noise than signal

I've built and submitted ports which are now part of the tree, but have never touched pkg_create. Since ports build packages, I've always used the ports rigamarole.

To get started, either use /usr/ports/infrastructure/templates/Makefile.template, or a port in the tree with similar requirements. You'll find the porting and port testing web pages at the Project website helpful, too.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Yes, pkg_create is obtuse: it is meant to be used by varius package tools, not general users.

the easiest way to make a package of a port is to use 'make package'. This will call the pkg_create command with all the options it needs. For instance:
Code:
cd /usr/ports/www/firefox
make package
That will build (with whatever options you have selected), install and then make a package of the port. by default, the package will be placed in /usr/ports/packages
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2008
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbak View Post
..That will build (with whatever options you have selected), install and then make a package...
Not quite. It will "make fake" which is a synthetic install in order to structure the PLIST. A "make package" will not install in the OS.

Tags
source compile package create software