DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General Hardware

General Hardware General hardware related questions.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th August 2015
Spam Deminer

Default whitch BSD choise for ARM V7

Hi,
I've a Raspberry PI 2 model B, Arm quad core V7. It was installed to Ubuntu Mate and Debian wheely, there are no issues. I go to the FTP of BSD (openBSD, NetBSD or FreeBSD) but where to choise distributions for ARM V7.
After install into the SD card the OS FreeBSD (ARM V6) doesn't run because i've ARM V7. Can someone indicate to me where to download the distribution for ARM V7 quad core?
I'm search the image *.img not *.iso !
Also if there a process to indicate how to install to the SD card?
Regards
Philippe
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th August 2015
More noise than signal

TL-DR: "Not on OpenBSD"

---

OpenBSD is not possible on the Raspberry PI 2 Model B (ARM v7). Like its predecessor, it requires in-core binary objects which are unacceptable to the Project. See the very long discussion that begins here.

Current status (and associated devices) for OpenBSD/armv7 can be found here. Other ARM-based archictures include landisk, armish, zaurus, and the discontinued cats.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th August 2015
Spam Deminer

Hi,
i found an distribution of FreeBSD, show the thread http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=9349 but i have issue with the command gpart !

Regards
Philippe
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2015
Snoozing

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo_neo71 View Post
Hi,
I've a Raspberry PI 2 model B, Arm quad core V7. It was installed to Ubuntu Mate and Debian wheely, there are no issues. I go to the FTP of BSD (openBSD, NetBSD or FreeBSD) but where to choise distributions for ARM V7.
After install into the SD card the OS FreeBSD (ARM V6) doesn't run because i've ARM V7. Can someone indicate to me where to download the distribution for ARM V7 quad core?
Regards
Philippe
There are lots of articles on the embedded forum on FreeBSD.org about using FreeBSD (including Xorg) with the Raspberry Pi boards. If you want to use X, there's more going on with respect to the Raspberry than other boards like my Odroid C1, but in the last few months there has been great progress on all the boards.

Last edited by rons; 8th December 2015 at 02:24 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2015
Snoozing

Those armv6 images usually work fine on ARM v7 devices. If you want a quick-to-try image of a BSDish distro, then go to NAS4free.org. They have ready-to-use images for the Rpi and Rpi2. They have a source tarball that does a completely menu driven kernel and userland build process. It also builds an SD image. I can't personally vouch for the reliability or security situation WRT those images - but they do run "out of the box" very easily.

The menu-driven build process is slick! The only thing to remember is to change the ROOTDIR in make.sh:

Code:
NAS4FREE_ROOTDIR="/usr/home/jake/nas4free-code"
I've put slightly more detailed setup info at:

https://programmingmiscellany.wordpr...-building-nas/

There are multiple Raspberry PI images on the site, but their build system makes it easy to create your own image, if you want to. To build an SD image using their build system you'd first have to bootstrap with one of their prepared images, and build the new image on the Rpi (or other target device). They haven't made it cross-compile yet, although that shouldn't be too difficult to do yourself.

Last edited by rons; 8th December 2015 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Un-necesary info
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo_neo71 View Post
Hi,
Regards
Philippe
Unlike AMD64 and i386 architecture ARM V7 is a family of processors that are loosely similar. In another words OS which can run on Beagle boards doesn't run on Raspberry PI. To make matters worse Raspberry PI is a proprietary hardware requiring tons of proprietary firmware to boot so the best choice is to use proprietary OS for which device is designed (GNU/Linux). NetBSD guys have reversed engineered Raspberry PI so NetBSD does run on it and IIRC FreeBSD as well. OpenBSD will never run on it. DragonFly is amd64 only OS.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th April 2017
Open Source Software user

Now 16 months on, there is an OpenBSD solution for the Raspberry Pi3, but I'm not sure if it is fully stable, certainly it's getting there.