DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th April 2010
New User

Default OpenBSD firewall with only one physical NIC

Hello,

I would like to setup a firewall which has only one physical NIC using the 'alias' parameter in 'ifconfig'. Are there any security risks using this configuration in comparison to a configuration with two physical NICs?

Thanks in advance, Ido.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th April 2010
Administrator

In http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=4367 I give an example of a pf ruleset protecting a desktop machine with only one NIC.

To protect a network or multiple machines, you really need 2 NICs else it won't work
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th April 2010
New User

The question isn't whether it can be done or not, but whether is there a security risk in doing so.

Why do you say I need two NICs in order to protect a network of multiple machines? I can simply connect the firewall, the modem and the rest of the machines to a switch.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th April 2010
Administrator

If something is not possible, it is useless to wonder whether it has security risks

How are you going to prevent the machines from not using the modem directly, and thus bypass your one NIC firewall?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th April 2010
More noise than signal

Draw a picture for us, Idosch. Explain how you envision several devices on the same physical subnet can be protected from each other, merely by having yet another device on the same physical subnet running OpenBSD.

All ALIAS does is permit a NIC to respond to an ARP request for multiple addresses. Each alias address -must- be within the subnet, else the gateway router will not even ask. If you changed the gateway's routing table and added a pseudo-subnet that you then "routed" to the OpenBSD platform, how would it then forward packets on? NAT? You'll need to draw this out, and describe both layer 2 frames (Ethernet) as well as layer 3 (IP). Doing that exercise will tell you whether or not this will work, or, will give you more specific questions to ask.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th April 2010
New User

I see. I'll probably buy a RJ45 to USB adapter in-order to overcome this problem.

Thanks for the answers, Ido.