DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2011
Port Guard

Default unable to send external mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
To cause sendmail to accept external network connections, modify the
sendmail_flags variable in /etc/rc.conf.local to use the
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf file in accordance with the comments therein.
I have done this and I can send mail locally however I am still unable to receive emails from external networks. Does anyone know what I have done wrong?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2011
Shell Scout

Are you receiving the actual mail-packets from the outside networks? I know a lot of ISP's block ports associated with mail to non-corporate customers.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2011
Administrator

Zyos, your question has been split away from its parent:

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthre...light=sendmail

Although your question may appear to be similar to the parent thread, the direction you may need to take may be different than the OP. Likewise, the parent thread was started in 2008. Most discussions on this site usually end in a few weeks at most.

This site may operate in ways unique to other forum sites. Most members here search the archives extensively. To facilitate searching, we ask members to stay on topic, & honor the direction taken by those originating threads. Anything else is considered to be hijacking & makes future searches more difficult. So if there is any doubt, start a new thread.

The forum rules covers the decorum discussed here.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2011
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by denta View Post
Are you receiving the actual mail-packets from the outside networks? I know a lot of ISP's block ports associated with mail to non-corporate customers.
I just checked and no I am not receiving any packets.... Thanks for this incite. I'll make some phone calls and see what I can get my ISP to do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
...So if there is any doubt, start a new thread.
No problem.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2011
More noise than signal

If your ISP won't lift the block, there are services that will forward SMTP traffic via alternative ports. I happen to use the mailhop service from dyndns.org.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th November 2011
Administrator

Can you send mail out, like
Code:
$ ls -l | mail -s 'The files in my home dir' jxxxxxxx@gmail.com
?

In case of success your /var/log/maillog should have entries like:
Code:
Nov 16 19:59:24 hercules sendmail[12489]: pAGIxO2E012489: from=j65nko,
size=10287, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<201111161859.pAGIxO2E012489@hercules.utp.xnet>,
relay=j65nko@localhost

Nov 16 19:59:24 hercules sm-mta[25711]: pAGIxO2b025711:
from=<j65nko@hercules.utp.xnet>, size=10580, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<201111161859.pAGIxO2E012489@hercules.utp.xnet>, proto=ESMTP,
daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]

Nov 16 19:59:24 hercules sendmail[12489]: pAGIxO2E012489:
to=jxxxxxx@gmail.com, ctladdr=j65nko (1001/1001), delay=00:00:00,
xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=40287, relay=[127.0.0.1]
[127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (pAGIxO2b025711 Message accepted
for delivery)

Nov 16 19:59:25 hercules sm-mta[28910]: STARTTLS=client,
relay=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com., version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL,
cipher=RC4-SHA, bits=128/128

Nov 16 19:59:26 hercules sm-mta[28910]: pAGIxO2b025711:
to=<jxxxxxx@gmail.com>, ctladdr=<j65nko@hercules.utp.xnet> (1001/1001),
delay=00:00:02, xdelay=00:00:02, mailer=esmtp, pri=40580,
relay=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. [209.85.143.26], dsn=2.0.0,
stat=Sent (OK 1321469966 p66si14961380weq.141)
When my box sends out the mail it will do a DNS lookup for the MX (Mail eXchange) record of gmail.com, i.e. :
Code:
dig -t mx gmail.com

; <<>> DiG 9.4.2-P2 <<>> -t mx gmail.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 30079
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;gmail.com.                     IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
gmail.com.              2613    IN      MX      30 alt3.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
gmail.com.              2613    IN      MX      40 alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
gmail.com.              2613    IN      MX      20 alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
gmail.com.              2613    IN      MX      5 gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
gmail.com.              2613    IN      MX      10 alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.222.10#53(192.168.222.10)
;; WHEN: Wed Nov 16 20:15:57 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 150
It will then try to send the mail off to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. because, with a priority of 5, it is the first choice for the gmail.com domain.
If you have neither, a domain name nor MX record for that domain, you still should be able to ask a friend to send mail to you with something like:

Code:
$ mail -s 'test'  zyos@[84.83.82.81] <testmessage.txt
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th November 2011
Port Guard

Angry ISP is Blocking Incoming Mail (among other issues)

Quote:
Can you send mail out, like
Code:
$ ls -l | mail -s 'The files in my home dir' jxxxxxxx@gmail.com
?
Yes, that's working fine.

Quote:
If you have neither, a domain name nor MX record for that domain, you still should be able to ask a friend to send mail to you with something like:

Code:
$ mail -s 'test'  zyos@[84.83.82.81] <testmessage.txt
I'll try that. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
If your ISP won't lift the block, there are services that will forward SMTP traffic via alternative ports. I happen to use the mailhop service from dyndns.org.
Well, the situation is even more abysmal than I originally anticipated. While mailhop may be very useful for this one particular application I believe it can do very little to solve the larger issue that this problem has lead me to uncover.

As far as my ISP knows they aren't blocking anything but they are. So even if they were willing to lift the block nobody there seems to even know of its existence. While I was talking to them I learned that I was in direct violation of their "Online Acceptable Use Policy" for hosting my own web-server (or any kind of other server) that I am using to host my own personal website. When I asked for more detail no one there was able to help me. So, 10 minutes later I walked into their main office and demanded documentation on exactly what I was and wasn't allowed to do. I had to sit there and wait for 15 minutes before they could provide me with their "Online Acceptable Use Policy".

I read through it and it turns out I am also violating their terms by:

- Using Wireshark (to look at the traffic on my own personal network) or using probing tools (for perfectly legitimate purposes).

- Using sticky dynamic ip addresses or configuring DHCP in any way (probably because I'm not paying them $90 for a business connection plus an extra $5 for a static address).

- Using OpenBSD in general (while not stated explicitly it seems to be heavily implied)

I called them back and told them to make me an exception to these terms. They then admitted that they really didn't have any way of knowing that I was doing any of this and not to worry about it.... That's not going to be enough for me though. I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

This may be something other people may want to check on as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an ISP in the midwest that they have found or know to be particularly friendly to users such as ourselves?

(Also, moderators, I may have just hijacked my own thread. Please, feel free to re tittle, move, or modify it in anyway for it to be more suitable to its content as you see fit. Perhaps a title something like "ISP is Blocking Incoming Mail" would be more appropriate)
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th November 2011
More noise than signal

I began using dyndns's various SMTP services for personal Email many years ago when I was a Comcast customer and Comcast was outsourcing their Email services through AT&T, and AT&T's MTAs were being blocked by many of my intended recipients as the bulk of their output was untrapped and unfiltered spam. I continue to use their SMTP services today because they manage MX DNS records and forward incoming mail to me.

(My current home ISP is AT&T, and their Email that I don't use is outsourced to Yahoo.)
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th November 2011
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
(My current home ISP is AT&T, and their Email that I don't use is outsourced to Yahoo.)
After reading "AT&T Acceptable Use Policy" there seems to be a glaring problem.

Quoting AT&T's website, "Examples of system or network security violations include but are not limited to: .......

-with respect to dial-up accounts, using any software or device designed to defeat system time-out limits or to allow Customer's account to stay logged on while Customer is not actively using the IP Services or using such account for the purpose of operating a server of any type; "

http://www.att.com/esupport/article....id=LIFbWx3YWVP
Old 17th November 2011
More noise than signal

I don't have dial-up service. I have U-Verse, which is FTTN and VDSL on the last link.
Old 17th November 2011
Port Guard

Opps, sorry I should have read that more closely.

"with respect to dial-up accounts"

That seems very strange to me. I'm not sure why they would care about dial-up and not their DSL service but fair enough. To bad they don't offer services in my area.
Old 17th November 2011
More noise than signal

They care about dial-up because modem connections are expected to be transient, and they will always have more customers than modems and related telephony infrastructure. In comparison, broadband connections are usually permanent, with dedicated infrastructure for each customer.